Chanel No. 8 Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour ($38.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a slightly bright, medium red with subtle, warm undertones and a fine dusting of golden micro-shimmer. It was, in fact, a “hint of sparkle,” as the brand had described. The consistency was smooth, velvety without being too emollient nor too powdery, which helped the color glide across my lips evenly but didn’t feather on me over time. The formula seemed to help smooth out most of my lip lines, too. It had opaque pigmentation that stayed on well for five and a half hours and was lightly hydrating over time.
- Tom Ford Beauty Warren (P, $36.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- MAC Yoni Crush (LE, $19.50) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Guerlain Flaming Red (823) (DC, $58.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Hourglass Innovator (P, $32.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Chanel No. 04 (LE, $38.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Brave Red (P, $19.50) is less shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- YSL Le Rouge (1) (PiP, $36.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Urban Decay No-Tell Motel (P, $18.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Estee Lauder Drop Dead Red (320) (P, $32.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- YSL Lale's Red (126) (LE, $36.00) is darker, cooler (85% similar).
$38.00/0.12 oz. - $316.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have a "satin finish" with "ultra-thin pigments" that yield "full coverage" while also having a moisturizing base. Most shades in the range have a satin to luminous finish--not glossy but they have a luminosity to them that gives the appearance of lighter-weight color and smoother, fuller lips that a true satin finish doesn't have (in my experience).
The texture has a more velvety feel--smooth with great glide but not a lot of wetness, so they go on comfortably but feel very lightweight and thin but don't emphasize lip lines/lip texture. The coverage tends to be more semi-opaque to opaque, so they aren't always living up to the "full coverage" claim.
Most shades wear four hours or longer with some of the deeper and richer hues lasting six hours or more, and the formula has been hydrating for me. They have a subtle, floral scent but no discernible taste.
Browse all of our Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour swatches.