Tom Ford Fathom Clutch-Size Lip Balm ($36.00 for 0.07 oz.) is a medium, pinky-red with subtle, cool undertones and a moderate sheen. It darkened my natural lip color and, to my eye, it seemed to make them look a little warm-toned–sort of like a very sheer, neutral-to-warm reddish stain to my eye. It had sheer, even coverage that applied easily as the texture was smooth, thin but not clingy, and comfortable to wear. The shine lasted for an hour and a half, while the appearance of the tint lasted for two and a half hours on me. It was lightly hydrating.
It’s a new, limited edition formula for summer, which is supposed to have a “jelly-like” feel that is hydrating, tinted (described as “subtle shades to enhance your natural lip color”), and shiny. This is the type of product that I’ve found some readers love–quick, easy for every day, and comfortable–and others can’t see paying this much for something that is sheerer. The formula was thin, slightly shiny, somewhat hydrating, and tinted; some shades had a more noticeable tint than others, but it was very much like a lip stain or tinted balm, where a lot of the natural color came through. They wore down within one to three hours, but some of the deeper shades left behind a subtle stain afterward. I did not find the formula to be all that hydrating (the brand’s regular, squeeze-tube Lip Balm is a favorite for me). They had a very subtle vanilla scent and are similar in size to the brand’s Lips & Boys Lip Colors.
- Tom Ford Beauty Aurora (LE, $55.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Christian Louboutin Beaute Loubiminette (P, $90.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Rougir (LE, $55.00) is less shimmery, less pigmented (85% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Glimmer (LE, $55.00) is less shimmery, less pigmented (85% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Universel (LE, $55.00) is less shimmery, less pigmented (85% similar).
- Chanel Viva (95) (LE, $37.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Guerlain Madame Reve (862) (DC, $58.00) is darker, brighter (85% similar).
- Revlon Sorbet (P, $7.49) is darker, brighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Sheer Ladyflower (DC, $22.00) is brighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Estee Lauder Pink Dragon (P, $30.00) is brighter, more pigmented, cooler (80% similar).
- More dupes -- click to see the full list!