Public Display (01)
Tom Ford Public Display (01) Lip Contour Duo ($53.00 for 0.08 oz.) contains a slim lip color with a twist-up “Lip Shaper,” where the lip color hides in the base of the component. This duo features a soft, medium peachy brown Lip Color with a slightly lighter, gold-sparkled Lip Shaper.
The Lip Shaper is designed for enhancing and defining the lips, and it can be used to shape or “create an ombre effect” to the lips, while the lip color is supposed to be full coverage. Sadly, I really like the lip color formula in the duo; it’s very creamy, hydrating, and comfortable to wear with four to six-hour wear time, but the Lip Shaper formulation left a lot to be desired. I struggled with using the Lip Shapers as they often broke on me, as they were quite brittle, and the majority were very dry, so they tugged and dragged on the lips. They also had bits of sparkle, which did not work well for defining the edge of the lips nor did it work out for filling in the lips.
Get a shade-by-shade breakdown of this palette, along with individual photos and swatches…
Public Display (Lip Color)
Public Display (Lip Color) is a medium, peachy-brown with warm undertones and a creamy, natural finish. It had mostly opaque coverage with a creamy, smooth consistency that was easy to apply and very comfortable to wear, as it was hydrating while worn. The color wore well for four and a half hours on me.
- MAC Impulsive (P, $21.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- ColourPop Screenshot (PiP, $7.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Automatic (Right) (LE, ) is lighter, warmer (95% similar).
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Marion (DC, $18.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Tarte Colada (P, $21.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Urban Decay 1993 (DC, $22.00) is darker, more muted (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Autoerotique (LE, $55.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Anastasia #4 (Vol. 1) (PiP, ) is darker (90% similar).
- Maybelline Touchable Taupe (940) (P, $7.49) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Coloured Raine Empathy (P, $17.00) is lighter (90% similar).
PiPPermanent in Palette.
Public Display (Lip Shaper)
Public Display (Lip Shaper) is a light-medium peach with warm undertones and a hint of pink paired with gold sparkle. The gold sparkle was an unexpected find in the Lip Shaper–it actually made it harder to get crisp, defined edges as the sparkles sometimes flaked away or pushed the color outside the lip line. The texture was very dry, which made the pencil stiff and difficult to use. It is not the type of formula that is conducive to filling in the lips (often a technique used for better hold and evening out the natural lip color), and it is barely serviceable for lining the edge of the lips. I found it to be very uneven as the texture bunched up on itself in places and looked somewhat streaky, even just used along the edge of the lips. It lasted for hours, though it was drying on its own.
- Estee Lauder Victoria (LE, $30.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty #020 (P, $18.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Subculture (PiP, $17.50) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Naked 2 (P, $20.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- MAC Etcetera (P, $19.50) is less shimmery, darker, more muted (85% similar).
- MAC Nice 'n' Spicy (P, $19.50) is less shimmery, darker (85% similar).