Rouge Brulant (191)
Chanel Rouge Brulant (191) Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour ($38.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a bright, medium pink-coral with warm undertones and a luminous sheen. It had semi-opaque color coverage in a single layer, which adhered fairly evenly but didn’t seem to go on as smoothly in some areas as I expected and seemed to catch a bit on imperfections. The texture was emollient, thin, and lightweight (but never clingy), which made for comfortable application and wear. The color lasted nicely for four and a half hours and was moisturizing while worn.
- Clinique Papaya Pop (P, $19.50) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Cherry (LE, $36.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- NARS Start Your Engines (P, $26.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Origami Orange (LE, $20.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Givenchy Corail Backstage (324) (P, $36.00) is less shimmery, lighter, brighter (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Chiffonade (DC, $24.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Topanga (P, $6.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Chanel Rouge Splendide (817) (LE, $38.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Chanel Esquisse (227) (LE, $37.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- MAC Crosswires (P, $20.00) is more shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
$38.00/0.12 oz. - $316.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have a "satin finish" with "ultra-thin pigments" that yield "full coverage" while also having a moisturizing base. Most shades in the range have a satin to luminous finish--not glossy but they have a luminosity to them that gives the appearance of lighter-weight color and smoother, fuller lips that a true satin finish doesn't have (in my experience).
The texture has a more velvety feel--smooth with great glide but not a lot of wetness, so they go on comfortably but feel very lightweight and thin but don't emphasize lip lines/lip texture. The coverage tends to be more semi-opaque to opaque, so they aren't always living up to the "full coverage" claim.
Most shades wear four hours or longer with some of the deeper and richer hues lasting six hours or more, and the formula has been hydrating for me. They have a subtle, floral scent but no discernible taste.
Browse all of our Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour swatches.
Chanel Endless (132) Rouge Allure Velvet Extreme ($38.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a brighter, medium-dark red-plum with warm undertones and a semi-matte finish. It was richly pigmented with even coverage delivered in a single pass. The texture was velvety, dense without being firm or too thick, so it glided easily across my lips but didn’t catch on imperfections or sink into my lip lines. It wore well for six hours and was neither drying nor hydrating over time.
- Tom Ford Beauty Night Mauve (P, $54.00) is lighter, brighter, glossier (95% similar).
- NARS Audrey (P, $34.00) is more shimmery, darker, glossier (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Trip (P, $18.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Sephora Rose Redux (84) (P, $14.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Makeup Geek Plain Jane (P, $12.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Colour Pop She Said (P, $7.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Revlon Teak Rose (P, $8.49) is brighter, glossier (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Ghosted (DC, $7.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Angel City (LE, $7.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Hourglass I Can't Live Without (P, $34.00) is darker (90% similar).
$38.00/0.12 oz. - $316.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to "glide smoothly onto lips with intense, longwearing colour" that is "non-drying." It is a comfortable formula with its velvety glide--smooth, creamy without being wet or slippery, and forgiving of most lip texture/lip lines.
The finish is more semi-matte, though it will wear to a truer matte finish by blotting or after an hour or so of wear. They have semi-opaque to opaque coverage that applied evenly and stayed on well for five to six hours and did not feel drying (I actually found them ever-so-slightly hydrating).
Browse all of our Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Extreme swatches.