MAC Caketop Lipglass ($18.50 for 0.10 oz.) is a medium copper with stronger, warm orange undertones as a base with flecks of sparkles that shifted from mid-tone pink to deeper, copper-red. It seemed to have a rather sheer, more translucent base color (looked almost clear when I spread the gloss out on my skin) with a fair amount of larger, grittier sparkle/micro-glitter. Though Lipglass is a thicker formula and has more density, which often helps disguise the texture of shimmer/sparkle, I felt that this ran a bit thinner and I could feel some of the glitter coming through. It applied somewhat evenly, but there was a bit of product that gathered in my lip lines and the shimmer could have dispersed better. This shade lasted well for four hours and was lightly hydrating.
- Jouer Rose Gold (P, $16.00) (90% similar).
- MAC It's a Great Feeling (LE, $22.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- MAC Autumn Russet (P, $21.00) is darker, more pigmented, cooler (80% similar).
- MAC Blessedly Rich (LE, $17.50) is more shimmery, darker, more pigmented (80% similar).
- Jouer Tan Lines (P, $16.00) is more shimmery, darker, more pigmented (80% similar).
- Urban Decay Dirty Talk (P, $20.00) is less shimmery, darker, more pigmented (80% similar).
- Smashbox Rose Magic (LE, $24.00) is more shimmery, darker, more pigmented (80% similar).
- More dupes -- click to see the full list!
$17.50/0.10 oz. - $175.00 Per Ounce
The Lipglass formula is supposed to be “pigmented, very shiny and can impart subtle or dramatic color” that can be worn “on its own, over lip pencil or lipstick” and will “condition lips.” MAC could use an update on the description as some shades are more pigmented than others but several are sheerer and likely intended to be that way. The formula has a very glossy, high-shine finish with a light-medium weight and moderate tackiness.
I have found that newer Lipglasses (over the last couple of years) are smoother and not quite as tacky as the formula was many years ago. They wear from three to six hours on me and are usually lightly hydrating. MAC recently updated the shade range and packaging for the range (though the formula was said to be unchanged), so worth noting is that with that packaging change came a reduction in quantity to 0.10 fl. oz. (was 0.17 fl. oz.), which may matter for some but not everyone.
Browse all of our MAC Lipglass swatches.