Too Faced Unicorn Tears La Crème Mystical Effects Lipstick ($22.00 for 0.11 oz.) is is a pale, iridescent blue with lots of shimmer and larger sparkle with a color-changing base that tinted my lips fuchsia. It had a lot of shimmer and sparkle, but it also had larger particles, which had a tendency to clump up on my lips as I applied the color, so it made my lips appear more uneven with respect to texture. The color did not apply evenly, and there was faint color in my lip lines. It lasted for four and a half hours but separated while worn as the consistency was quite slippery. The formula felt lightly hydrating, though!
- Too Faced Unicorn Tears (DC, $22.00) is lighter, brighter (95% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Supanova (LE, $19.00) is less shimmery, warmer (85% similar).
- MAC Sugar Cookies (LE, $17.50) is more shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Dior Diorstellaire (595) (P, $37.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Asphyxia (P, $18.00) is less shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- Ciate Cosmic (P, $22.00) is more shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- Bite Beauty Violet Icing (P, $24.00) is more muted (85% similar).
- MAC Florabundi (LE, $19.50) is warmer (90% similar).
- Sephora Werk It (69) (P, $8.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (80% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Lavender Extreme (LE, $54.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (80% similar).
$22.00/0.11 oz. - $200.00 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "shade-shifting technology that changes the color depending on the body temperature," which was code for "turns lips fuchsia" on me for two of the shades (the other two did not seem to cause major color changes on me). It is a "one-swipe formula," which is not a term I'm familiar with as it lacked any indication about pigmentation or luminosity for what... one-swipe is supposed to achieve. Nevertheless, Too Faced has "swatches" on models of the new shades, and they certainly made them appear opaque/pigmented... which they were not. They were more medium coverage with a chunkier, glittery texture that wasn't rough but was textured that, for some, it may be too noticeable. They were pretty from afar but did not apply overly well. The wear time varied between the shades with lighter, less staining ones at two to three hours and the more staining ones to three to four hours. The formula had a sweet, lemony scent but no discernible taste.
Browse all of our Too Faced La Crème Mystical Effects Lipstick swatches.
Polybutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil/Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil, Diisostearyl Malate, Polyethylene, Punica Granatum Sterols, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Triisostearyl Citrate, Isostearyl Hydroxystearate, Silica, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Euphorbia Cerifera Cera, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Isostearyl Isostearate, Hydrogenated Polydicyclopentadiene, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbitan Isostearate, Tin Oxide, Tribehenin, Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090), Red 27 (Ci 45410), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).
Too Faced Unicorn Tears Magic Crystal Lip Topper ($19.00 for 0.10 oz.) is a pale, bluish-white base with pink-to-violet pearl. It had semi-sheer pigmentation that applied somewhat evenly but settled into my lip lines a bit more noticeably compared to other shades in the range. The consistency was lightweight, smooth, and a bit thin, so it did not have a plush, ultra-glossy look and feel on my lips. The color stayed on well for two and a half hours and was lightly moisturizing over time. It had a tendency to turn other lip colors underneath milky, so it wasn’t the easiest to work with as a layering product.
- Bite Beauty Blush Pearl (LE, $22.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Broken Halo (LE, $21.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Chanel Clarte (216) (LE, $30.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Becca Amethyst x Geode (LE, $22.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Nonsense (LE, $6.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Anastasia Moon Jelly (P, $16.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Bewitched (LE, $18.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Sugar Coat (LE, $18.00) is warmer (85% similar).
- Anastasia Blue Hawaii (LE, $16.00) is more shimmery (85% similar).
- Maybelline Lilac Lumi (P, $4.49) is less shimmery, less pigmented (85% similar).
$19.00/0.1 oz. - $190.00 Per Ounce
The gloss formula was described as "super-glossy" and "non-sticky" that can be worn "on top of your favorite lipstick" or "alone for a pretty prismatic effect." It felt smooth, lightweight, and wasn't tacky, but it was a thinner gloss and did not have a plush, ultra-glossy finish. The wear time was dismal (two to three hours), though it was comfortable to wear and lightly to moderately hydrating over time. I could barely detect a sweet scent to it and no discernible taste. The pigmentation varied from shade to shade, but they were all very sheer, and sheerness was certainly expected based on the descriptoin of the product.
Browse all of our Too Faced Magic Crystal Lip Topper swatches.
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Silica, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Microcrystalline Wax/Cera Microcristallina, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Mica, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, BHT, Fragrance, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Tin Oxide, Carmine (Ci 75470), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).