Make Me (08)
Tom Ford Make Me (08) Lip Contour Duo ($53.00 for 0.08 oz.) contains a slim lip color with a twist-up “Lip Shaper,” where the lip color hides in the base of the component. The duo features a deeper, muted plum with warmer undertones and a lighter, cooler plum lip pencil (I don’t think they match that well, actually).
The Lip Shaper is designed for enhancing and defining the lips, and it can be used to shape or “create an ombre effect” to the lips, while the lip color is supposed to be full coverage. Sadly, I really like the lip color formula in the duo; it’s very creamy, hydrating, and comfortable to wear with four to six-hour wear time, but the Lip Shaper formulation left a lot to be desired. I struggled with using the Lip Shapers as they often broke on me, as they were quite brittle, and the majority were very dry, so they tugged and dragged on the lips. They also had bits of sparkle, which did not work well for defining the edge of the lips nor did it work out for filling in the lips.
Get a shade-by-shade breakdown of this palette, along with individual photos and swatches…
Make Me (Lip Color)
Make Me (Lip Color) is a muted, dark plum with subtle, warm undertones and a glossy finish. This shade had more translucency and was significantly more emollient/slippery compared to every other shade in the range. It looked a bit like a lip stain, as it had an even layer of translucency where the natural lip color came through, but the darkness of the color still provided a significant change to the natural lip color. The color wore well for four and a half hours and did not feather/bleed on me, and the formula felt hydrating.
- Bite Beauty Infuse (DC, $24.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Estee Lauder Undefeated (P, $32.00) is more shimmery, lighter, brighter (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Cassava (DC, $24.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Bruise (LE, $18.00) is lighter, brighter (95% similar).
- MAC Night Club School (LE, $20.00) is darker (90% similar).
- MAC Heavy Petting (LE, $20.00) is lighter (85% similar).
- Smashbox Crush It (P, $24.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Smashbox Fig (PiP, $21.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- YSL After-Prune (97) (LE, $38.00) is less shimmery, cooler (85% similar).
- Laura Mercier Plum Fatale (P, $32.00) is less shimmery, cooler, less glossy (85% similar).
PiPPermanent in Palette.
Make Me (Lip Shaper)
Make Me (Lip Shaper) is a muted, medium plum with cooler undertones and a touch of gold sparkle. The texture was incredibly dry and stiff–it felt as if the pencil had dried out over time, but it was brand new–and difficult to apply to the lips. It skipped around a lot and clung to the lips uncomfortably. The color wore for over six hours but was drying.
- Urban Decay Turn On (P, $20.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty #024 (P, $18.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Dream Obscene (Lip Shaper) (PiP, ) is lighter, cooler (80% similar).
- Bite Beauty #026 (P, $18.00) is less shimmery, lighter (80% similar).
- MAC In Anticipation (P, $19.50) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).