MAC Black Night Lipstick ($18.50 for 0.10 oz.) is a deep black with warm undertones and gold pearl paired with a glossy finish. It had semi-opaque pigmentation, and for as much slip as it had, it went on more smoothly and evenly than anticipated, though there was plenty of room for improvement. I would recommend applying a lip liner all-over the lips for better coverage, application, and wear. I didn’t experience any feathering or bleeding over the four and a half hours it lasted for, but the product did settle into my lip lines noticeably over time.
- Smashbox Bankrolled (P, $21.00) is lighter, less pigmented, cooler (90% similar).
- Maybelline Pitch Black (DC, $7.49) is more muted, cooler (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Oil Slick (DC, $22.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Nightly Ritual (LE, $18.50) is more shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- MAC Street Thing (LE, $18.50) is cooler (85% similar).
- Kat Von D Nayeon (P, $19.00) is cooler (85% similar).
- MAC Kling It On (LE, $18.50) is lighter (85% similar).
- MAC Metal Head (LE, $18.50) is more shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Oil Slick (LE, $18.00) is lighter, less pigmented (90% similar).
- NYX Chambord (P, $6.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (80% similar).
- More dupes -- click to see the full list!
$18.50/0.10 oz. - $185.00 Per Ounce
MAC Lipstick comes in a variety of finishes, and the pigmentation and wear tend to be dependent on the finish. The sheer finishes, like Lustres, tend to wear for only a couple of hours and have sheer coverage (as designed) and are non-drying. Some of the original Matte shades have a stiffer, drier formula, while newer ones have a more velvety, silicone-feel to them, and the latter are creamier, more comfortable to wear, and easier to apply, but most Matte shades are quite pigmented and long-wearing, though some are drying. The Amplified and Satin finishes tend to have good pigmentation, lightly creamy to moderately creamy consistencies with a bit of shine, and moderate to long wear with deeper, richer shades wearing longer. The Frost and Metallic finishes have the most variance between shades with coverage ranging from semi-sheer to opaque with average wear and non-drying to slightly drying formulas. All MAC lipsticks are vanilla-scented but have no discernible taste.
Browse all of our MAC Lipstick swatches.