Tom Ford Beauty Saboteur Shade & Illuminate Lips ($60.00 for 0.12 oz.) contains a bright, magenta purple and a deep, reddish burgundy. This was another duo where one shade applied well (the purple), while the darker (burgundy) shade fell short due to having a ton of slip to its texture, which caused it to slide around and feather.
Shade & Illuminate Lips is a lipstick duo that features a formula that is supposed to have “rich color” and “adherence” with a “velvet matte finish.” The duos are designed to have a lighter shade and a darker shade, and they can be worn alone, mixed, or as an ombre lip look. There was also a dual-ended applicator–a sponge on one end and a brush on the other–but the sponge really did not work well to apply the color, as it yielded sheer coverage and seemed to suck all the emollient qualities out of the formula and left behind a drier, almost powdery texture on the lips. The lip brush worked, but for me, the tiny applicator was harder to control and took me three to four times as long to apply compared to a traditional lip brush (which has a longer handle).
LELimited Edition. $60.00.
Saboteur (Left) is a medium-dark, magenta purple with warm, pink undertones and a cream finish. It had semi-opaque pigmentation with a creamy, light-medium weight texture that applied evenly and smoothly on the lips. Despite it being less pigmented than some of the shades included in the duos, it applied better than most! The color wore nicely for almost six hours, was a little hydrating, and left a pinkish stain behind.
- MAC Beetroot (DC, $21.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Sephora Desert Trip (39) (P, $8.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Burberry Lilac (424) (P, $35.00) is lighter, less glossy (90% similar).
- ColourPop Sitting Pretty (DC, $7.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Burberry Brilliant Violet (P, $34.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Sweet Stuff (LE, $7.00) is lighter, less glossy (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty #010 (LE, $36.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Laura Mercier Rose Mauve (P, $32.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Maybelline Brazen Berry (DC, $7.99) is lighter (85% similar).
- Guerlain #74 (P, $33.00) is cooler (85% similar).
Saboteur (Right) is a deep burgundy with subtle, warm undertones and a glossy finish. The texture was incredibly emollient, so the color slid around a lot and was hard to keep in place; it felt more like wearing a gloss than a lipstick. I would recommend pairing it with a lip liner or else blotting it down to minimize the slip. This shade lasted for five hours on me but feathered along the edges.
- Make Up For Ever C407 (DC, $22.00) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Sephora Power Suit (01) (P, $13.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Double Fudge (DC, $21.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Cherry (LE, $18.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Make Up For Ever Eggplant (501) (P, $24.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Besame Noir Red 1930 (PiP, $22.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
- Laura Mercier Plum Noire (P, $32.00) is cooler, less glossy (90% similar).
- Giorgio Armani Mahogany (601) (P, $38.00) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- MAC Living Legend (LE, $20.00) is lighter, warmer, less glossy (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Disturbed (DC, $18.00) is warmer, less glossy (85% similar).