Makeup Geek Moon Phase Highlighter ($20.00 for 0.25 oz.) is a very light, iridescent white that had shimmer that shifted from a bluish aqua to an icy lavender. The shift was strong enough to be noticeable on the skin, but it was more apparent when I wasn’t looking straight-on (it looked whiter and lighter at that angle).
According to Makeup Geek, the formula is supposed to be “super-smooth” and “incredibly pigmented.” The powder had a soft, smooth, and blendable texture that was soft without being too dusty or loose in the pan, but it wasn’t difficult to pickup product with a highlighting brush either. It had rich, opaque color coverage, but the texture was forgiving enough that I could easily sheer it out (or just use less) to get a less intense highlight. I did find that even a light application was still a moderate sheen, so the finish makes this product more suitable for someone who likes a noticeable highlight. I could see this one working well over lavender and plum blushes to give them an even cooler tint. On my skin, it wore well for eight hours before fading.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Anastasia Forever Lit (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Cover FX Prism (LE, $34.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Becca Icicle (LE, $38.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NYX Frostbite (P, $6.00) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- Cover FX Halo (P, $28.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Skywalk (P, $28.00) is less shimmery, less pigmented (95% similar).
- Sugarpill Ice Angel (PiP, $13.00) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- NYX Twilight Tint (P, $7.99) is more muted, warmer (95% similar).
- Dior Precious Embroidery #2 (LE, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Too Faced Diamond Fire (P, $34.00) is less shimmery, more muted (90% similar).
$20.00/0.25 oz. - $80.00 Per Ounce
According to Makeup Geek, the formula is supposed to be “super-smooth” and “incredibly pigmented.” The majority of the range is beautifully done with smooth, slightly denser textures that are blendable and easy to work with. They have good pigmentation, though some shades are more buildable than "incredibly pigmented." Most shades lasted between eight and nine hours on me.
Browse all of our Makeup Geek Highlighter swatches.
Triethylhexanoin, Magnesium Myristate, Silica, Boron Nitride, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin. May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Tin Oxide (CI 77861), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492), Carmine (CI 75470)
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.