Makeup by Mario Bronzite Master Crystal Reflector ($24.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a medium, coppery bronze with moderate, warm undertones and flecks of copper sparkle in both smaller and more medium-sized particles. It had sheer to semi-sheer color coverage that was buildable to medium coverage. The brand recommended using a fingertip for application, which worked best as it achieved greater precision and a smoother, more evenly-dispersed sparkling finish.
Applied, it had a twinkling, almost glossy look as it was very sparkly but sometimes this resulted in the particles looking like particles on my skin if the light wasn’t reflecting well. The higher the coverage, the better it looked as there were more sparkles that reflected light. Though not readily apparent in this particular shade, which arrived broken, the texture of the formula was more moderately dense, somewhat dry, and thin.
It could have been creamier, while still being powder-based, and had better adhesion over time. There was moderate fallout when used as an eyeshadow topper within an eight-hour wear period. When I used it as a cheek highlighter, the fallout wasn’t as noticeable (disappeared!) and there was only light migration beyond where I applied it.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Coloured Raine My Day One (Highlighter) (LE, ) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Inglot J203 Luminous (LE, $23.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- Huda Beauty Rich #1 (PiP, ) is less shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Milani Rosa Italiana (P, $10.99) is lighter (90% similar).
- Anastasia Sunset Aura (P, $25.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Mo' Hunny (PiP, $36.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- bareMinerals Fierce (P, $29.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Freak Like Me (P, $8.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Cognac Candy (LE, $38.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Cover FX Rose Gold (P, $42.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
$24.00/0.12 oz. - $200.00 Per Ounce
It's supposed to be a "subtle and sheer" highlighter that is "buildable" and creates a "veil of crystal sparkle." It's a thinner, moderately-dense powder highlighter that is more sparkle/micro-glitter (though no plastic or PET glitter!) with more of a transparent to tinted base. They seemed a touch dry--not as inherent adhesion as one probably would want for something this packed with sparkle--so fallout and migration were issues.
They were sheer to semi-sheer when applied with a brush or gently with a fingertip--the brand actually recommended using a fingertip for both a "sheer wash of sparkle" as well as for a more intense, "spotlight effect." I found that a brush resulted in more diffused, less precise application and sheerer coverage. A fingertip gave more semi-sheer to medium, buildable coverage that was easier to apply just where I wanted it.
When I applied the product to my cheeks as a highlighter, they wore between eight and nine hours with light migration movement. When I tried it on the lid/brow bone, there was more noticeable fallout over time.
Browse all of our Makeup by Mario Master Crystal Reflector swatches.