Baby It's Gold Outside
MAC Baby It’s Gold Outside Mineralize Skinfinish ($42.50 for 0.70 oz.) is a light-medium, rosy brown base with flecks of gold sparkle but had more of a natural finish overall. The consistency was smooth to the touch without kicking up excess product, and it didn’t seem to stiff to work with, but it was more semi-sheer in coverage, which I was able to build up to semi-opaque coverage with three layers. It felt drier compared to most of the brand’s other Mineralize Skinfinishes in recent memory.
The powder buffed and blended nicely onto my skin without emphasizing my texture. The sparkles did not seem particularly present on my skin after I finished blending everything together, though (some may prefer that!). It wore well for eight hours on me before fading noticeably. As a note: the powder is double the size of a typical Mineralize Skinfinish, so the higher price tag makes sense, but I don’t think many were clamoring for a jumbo-sized Mineralize Skinfinish either.
- Smashbox Blow a Fuse Gold (PiP, ) is more shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Padded Down (LE, $8.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Class Act (LE, $8.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Tarte Candlelight (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Malibu (LE, ) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Jouer Skinny Dip (P, $24.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Tahiti (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Milani Glowing (P, $10.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Anastasia Glo Getter (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- MAC Golden Bronze (LE, $29.00) is darker (90% similar).
$34.00/0.35 oz. - $97.14 Per Ounce
The description has changed over the years--the most current description (as of 4/21/2018) is that it is a "slow-baked, velvety soft, domed face powder with a radiant finish" that can be used to highlight "the high points of the face" or blended "all over for a sheer luminous polish to the skin." The sheerness seems to be more in referenced to the finish than the coverage, as the usage now states to use the product damp for an even stronger sheen.
In general, the Mineralize Skinfinish formula tends to be more metallic to glittery with medium to opaque coverage--it really depends on the shade. The texture of the formula has been refined over the years with current editions being fairly smooth, blendable, and easy to use. The wear has varied from six to eight hours on me with newer shades and variations lasting closer to eight hours on average.
Browse all of our MAC Mineralize Skinfinish swatches.