Betty Boop Red
MAC Betty Boop Red Lipstick ($18.00 for 0.10 oz.) is a bright, medium red with cool undertones and a satin finish. It had semi-opaque pigmentation that applied evenly and smoothly across the lips. The consistency was smooth, lightly creamy but not too emollient, and comfortable to wear. Though it was listed as a matte finish on the packaging, it did not read matte on me until after an hour and a half of wear. The color wore well for over six hours, left a stain behind, and was neither drying nor hydrating.
This lipstick launches online today (2/14).
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Tarte Juicy (LE, $20.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Tarte Firework (P, $22.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Urban Decay 714 (P, $19.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
- Pat McGrath Major Red (DC, $40.00) is glossier (95% similar).
- Chanel Rouge Charnel (56) (P, $45.00) is darker (95% similar).
- MAC Nyma Tang (LE, $19.00) is more shimmery, more muted, cooler (95% similar).
- Becca Cherry (DC, $24.00) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Tarte Miami Vice (P, $21.00) is darker, glossier (95% similar).
- YSL Rouge Paradoxe (21) (P, $39.00) is darker, warmer, less glossy (95% similar).
- MAC Stunner (LE, $19.00) is lighter (95% similar).
$19.00/0.1 oz. - $190.00 Per Ounce
MAC Lipstick comes in a variety of finishes, and the pigmentation and wear tend to be dependent on the finish. The sheer finishes, like Lustres, tend to wear for only a couple of hours and have sheer coverage (as designed) and are non-drying.
Some of the original Matte shades have a stiffer, drier formula, while newer ones have a more velvety, silicone-feel to them, and the latter are creamier, more comfortable to wear, and easier to apply, but most Matte shades are quite pigmented and long-wearing, though some are drying.
The Amplified and Satin finishes tend to have good pigmentation, lightly creamy to moderately creamy consistencies with a bit of shine, and moderate to long wear with deeper, richer shades wearing longer. The Frost and Metallic finishes have the most variance between shades with coverage ranging from semi-sheer to opaque with average wear and non-drying to slightly drying formulas. All MAC lipsticks are vanilla-scented but have no discernible taste.
Browse all of our MAC Lipstick swatches.