Tom Ford Reflects Gilt Sheer Highlighting DuoTom Ford Reflects Gilt Sheer Highlighting Duo ($78.00 for 0.10 oz.) is supposed to have a “light-reflective finish” that can be used “dry for a sweeping pop of vibrancy” or “wet for a soft veil of color.” I felt like it was more like dry for a medium, buildable coverage product with a shimmery finish and wet for a more opaque coverage with a stronger, more metallic sheen. I don’t think it is necessary to use either shade damp, unless you wanted a stronger sheen, as the lighter gold built up coverage well and the coppery shade was quite pigmented dry. I think if you like more shimmery highlighters and prefer stronger pigmentation when they’re used dry, you won’t be disappointed. If you were counting on sheerer coverage dry (or damp for that matter), you won’t get that with either shade.
Worth noting, the compact didn’t seem small, but the actual amount of product contained in it was only 0.10 oz. This type of formula is common across several brands–NARS Dual Intensity ($45.00 for 0.21 oz.), MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish ($33.00 for 0.31 oz.), Make Up For Ever Pro Fusion ($39.00 for 0.30 oz.), and Dior Diorskin Nude Air Luminizer ($56.00 for 0.21 oz.), just to name a few–and was much smaller (and obviously, more expensive).
LELimited Edition. $78.00.
Reflects Gilt (Top)
Reflects Gilt (Top) is a medium gold with warm, brownish undertones and a sparkling, metallic finish. There were more noticeable sparkles in it, which were visible when applied and blended on the skin, but there weren’t so many that it read glittery once applied. It gave my skin a glowing finish–between moderate and intense–with subtle warmth. The texture was soft, smooth, and easy to work with, as it wasn’t powdery nor was it stiff in the pan. It had more medium, buildable coverage when I worked with it dry, whereas a lightly dampened brush yielded more opaque coverage that was smoother and less sparkly. The highlighter wore well for eight and a half hours regardless of whether I used it dry or damp.
- Looxi Beauty Centerfold (P, $7.50) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Anastasia Dripping in Gold (LE, ) is less shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Hourglass Lucent Strobe Light (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Anastasia So Hollywood (DC, $28.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Makeup Geek Nightlight (LE, $20.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Too Faced You Light Up My Life (P, $30.00) is brighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Make Up For Ever H106 (P, $23.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Artist Couture Conceited (P, $27.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Blow Me Out (LE, $8.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Happy Go Dazzlingly (LE, $34.00) is lighter (90% similar).
Reflects Gilt (Bottom)
Reflects Gilt (Bottom) is a soft, rosy copper with warm, reddish undertones and a frosted sheen. Applied dry, it had a more shimmery finish that was less reflective, while the damp application yielded a deeper, richer color paired with a more metallic sheen. The powder felt soft and smooth to the touch, blended out easily, and sat well on the skin dry and emphasized my skin’s natural texture slightly when used damp. It wore well for eight and a half hours both dry and damp.
- Lancome Rose Twinkle #2 (LE, ) is cooler (95% similar).
- MAC Superb (P, $37.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- NARS Embruns (-, ) is darker (95% similar).
- Tarte Daygleam (P, $28.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- NARS Orgasm (P, $28.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Makeup Geek Firework (P, $20.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Urban Decay O.N.S. (LE, $26.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Total Package (P, $8.00) is darker (90% similar).
- OFRA Blissful (P, $29.00) is more shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Laura Mercier Spellbound (LE, $45.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).