Tom Ford Beauty Possession Shade & Illuminate Lips ($60.00 for 0.12 oz.) contains a bright, medium pink and a darker, fuchsia pink. The lighter shade could have been a bit more pigmented, while both shades could have applied more evenly. The darker shade was bright enough that its shortcomings in texture weren’t as noticeable. I would recommend using a lip liner with this duo to maximize its potential, though.
Shade & Illuminate Lips is a lipstick duo that features a formula that is supposed to have “rich color” and “adherence” with a “velvet matte finish.” The duos are designed to have a lighter shade and a darker shade, and they can be worn alone, mixed, or as an ombre lip look. There was also a dual-ended applicator–a sponge on one end and a brush on the other–but the sponge really did not work well to apply the color, as it yielded sheer coverage and seemed to suck all the emollient qualities out of the formula and left behind a drier, almost powdery texture on the lips. The lip brush worked, but for me, the tiny applicator was harder to control and took me three to four times as long to apply compared to a traditional lip brush (which has a longer handle).
LELimited Edition. $60.00.
Possession (Left) is a bright, peony pink with warm undertones and a cream finish. It had semi-opaque pigmentation with a creamy, moderately emollient texture that had a tendency to apply unevenly and show some streaking. The consistency, while very comfortable to wear, had a lot of slip, which contributed to some of the unevenness in the application. This shade wore well for three and a half hours but was moisturizing.
- Revlon Speak Up (P, $10.99) is warmer (95% similar).
- Bite Beauty Damask (LE, $28.00) is lighter, brighter (95% similar).
- Pat McGrath Profumo (DC, $40.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Laura Mercier A La Rose (P, $32.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Make Up For Ever C210 (DC, $22.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- L'Oreal Burnished Blush (P, $9.99) is darker, glossier (90% similar).
- ColourPop Little Tings (LE, $7.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- YSL Nu Incongru (12) (P, $45.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Laura Mercier Raspberry Ripple (P, $25.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- MAC You Wouldn't Get It (P, $19.00) is cooler, less glossy (90% similar).
Possession (Right) is a rich, medium-dark fuchsia pink with subtle, cool undertones and a cream finish. The pigmentation was great, but the texture had enough slip that it wasn’t the most flattering shade on me. The lipstick bunched up a bit and looked patchy on my upper lip and some color pulled into my lip lines on my lower lip. It was bright and rich enough that it wasn’t too noticeable from a normal viewing distance, though. This shade lasted for five hours and left a stain behind, while the formula was also hydrating.
- Urban Decay Checkmate (DC, $18.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Make Up For Ever C306 (DC, $22.00) is darker (95% similar).
- MAC Pour Another (LE, $22.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Givenchy Rose Flanelle (202) (P, $37.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- ColourPop Brooklyn (P, $7.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
- Guerlain #77 (P, $36.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Makeup Geek Chatterbox (P, $12.00) is warmer, less glossy (90% similar).
- Shiseido Neon Buzz (213) (P, $26.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- ColourPop Barely There (P, $6.00) is less glossy (90% similar).
- MAC Love at First Bite (LE, $19.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).