Revlon Black Cherry ColorStay Satin Ink Liquid Lipstick Review & Swatches
Revlon Black Cherry ColorStay Satin Ink Liquid Lipstick ($12.39 for 0.17 oz.) is a deep burgundy with cooler, reddish undertones and a glossy finish.
- Semi-paque pigmentation
- Very fluid, spreadable, creamy
- Hard to apply evenly, more prone to settling into lip lines
- Set to a lightly-to-moderately tacky feel, no lifting
- Transfer-resistant until eating
- Long-wearing (8 hours of wear but doesn’t make it through two meals well)
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Make Up For Ever Eggplant (501) (P, $24.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Truffle (DC, $24.00) is less glossy (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Saboteur (Right) (LE, ) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- MAC Double Fudge (DC, $21.00) is warmer (85% similar).
- Shiseido Noble Plum (224) (P, $26.00) is lighter, less glossy (85% similar).
- Sephora Malt Shake (29) (P, $8.00) is lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- ColourPop It's Faux (LE, $10.00) is lighter, warmer, less glossy (80% similar).
- ColourPop Tutu (LE, $7.00) is lighter, less glossy (80% similar).
- Sephora Goddess (30) (P, $13.00) is lighter (80% similar).
- MAC Magic Charmer (LE, $19.00) is lighter, less glossy (80% similar).
$10.99/0.17 oz. - $64.65 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to be "comfortable, brilliant" and have "16-hour" wear that "doesn't dry out your lips" and is "highly pigmented." Most of the shades had semi-opaque to opaque coverage; some of the vampier shades tended to be sheerer, while the more mid-tone shades tended to be opaque.
The texture was lightweight, creamy, and smooth, but it was more fluid, and I found that the applicator seemed wont to over-apply. I tried to use one side of the applicator and only lightly patted on the other side if I needed more product to get an even layer of product, but if I used both sides of the applicator, it seemed like too much product.
The brand recommended a "minute or so" to set, and I would agree; it seemed to need a longer period to really get into place to a more transfer-resistant finish. It was more prone to getting on my teeth until it was set, but after it set, I did not have issues with it transferring onto my teeth, but the wait was long-ish in "feel" just sitting there.
Once set, it had a moderately tacky feel but typically did not lift up color. There were a few shades that I found to perform less consistently with the overall range, and these tended to have issues with texture at different stages of wear. It was comfortable to wear, flexible, and non-drying.
I found the wear varied a lot from shade to shade with some shades lasting as little as six hours and others lasting closer to 12 hours. In general, most shades did not get through two meals well. Unsurpising, some of the lighter shades tended to be the shorter-wearing shades, whereas richer and more red-based shades lasted better.
It had a sweet, fruity-floral scent but no discernible taste to me.
Browse all of our Revlon ColorStay Satin Ink Liquid Lipstick swatches.
Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Mica, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Diisostearyl Malate, Methicone, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Serica Powder/Silk Powder/Poudre De Soie, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethyl Citrate, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, Benzoic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol.
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.
Uh, nope. This just looks baaaad. Love the shade, but the quality leaves much to be desired!
The shade colour is bold and daring, but the formula is just sad.
The original Black Cherry already had a tendency for patchiness…why would they not improve it??
I love the idea of this one.
It could have been something, it could have been a contender, alas it’s not.
Sorry for the obscure movie reference type thingy. I’m really tired. 😉