Maybelline Nikkie Tutorials MasterChrome Metallic Highlighter ($9.99 for 0.24 oz.) is a bright, golden beige with warm, yellow undertones and a metallic sheen. It had rich, opaque pigmentation in a single layer, and the soft consistency of the powder made it easy to pick up quite a bit of product. I’d recommend using a lighter hand initially to build up coverage and get a feel for the intensity. The texture of the powder was incredibly finely-milled, almost cream-like but soft and lightly powdery when used with a brush. It applied evenly to my skin, blended out with little effort, and stayed on nicely for eight and a half hours before fading a bit. I didn’t notice it emphasizing my skin’s natural texture.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- MAC Double-Gleam (P, $37.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- ColourPop Talk in Code (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Tarte Skylight (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Sin (P, $26.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- ColourPop Extra (LE, $8.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Anastasia Starlight (DC, $28.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- OFRA Moondance (LE, $29.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Becca Vanilla Quartz (P, $38.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- ColourPop You're a Trip (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Gleam Sheen (PiP, ) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
$9.99/0.24 oz. - $41.63 Per Ounce
It’s supposed to have a “chrome effect” that can be applied “lightly for a subtle glow” or built up for a “bold melted metal look.” The texture was soft, smooth, and blendable that was delightfully creamy to the touch, but it was still more loosely pressed (without being powdery), which made it particularly easy to apply with a slew of brushes.
For subtle coverage, I’d recommend a light hand and a tapered highlighting brush or a fan brush with a moderate hand. It had opaque coverage–not buildable as described, which was really the only downside to the product–that applied evenly to bare skin and blended out with little effort. The shades typically wore for around eight hours on me.
Browse all of our Maybelline MasterChrome Metallic Highlighter swatches.