Flare for the Dramatic
MAC Flare for the Dramatic Extra Dimension Skinfinish ($37.00 for 0.31 oz.) is a brighter, medium copper with moderate, warm undertones–almost balanced between rustier red and orange–paired with a luminous finish. The texture was dense and firmer to the touch, but it was slightly drier and more yielding–so a touch powdery–compared to most of the brand’s Extra Dimension shades. It was harder to judge smoothness, though I felt like it was “soft” as I applied it, due to the raised pattern on the powder itself.
It had opaque color coverage that adhered evenly to bare skin and blended out nicely. The finish was buildable from more luminous to more metallic, depending on how many layers were applied, and if one used a dampened brush, it could ratchet the intensity up immediately. The color stayed on nicely for eight and a half hours before fading visibly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Dose of Colors Mírame (LE, $28.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Maybelline Nude Glow (200) (P, $9.99) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Lancome Rosegold Lights (P, $23.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- lilah b. b captivating (P, $60.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Urban Decay O.N.S. (LE, $26.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- NARS Surreal (LE, ) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Rich #3 (PiP, ) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Milani Sunset Glow (P, $10.00) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Medium #2 (PiP, ) is more shimmery, brighter (90% similar).
- Becca Rose Gold (LE, $38.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
$37.00/0.31 oz. - $119.35 Per Ounce
The Extra Dimension Skinfinish formula is supposed to give “the perfect glow to the skin” with a “creamy powder formula” that wears for “10 hours.” It’s a powder highlighter that I’d describe as a moderate to intense highlighter, and they come in varying hues with some that might work as highlighting blushes/bronzers are on some skin tones and true highlighters on other skin tones. In general, the formula is very pigmented, blendable, and wears around eight to nine hours on me.
Browse all of our MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish swatches.
Mica, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, C12-20 Acid Peg-8 Ester, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Squalane, Glycerin, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, 1,2-Hexanediol, Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Tin Oxide, Caprylyl Glycol, [+/- Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (Ci 77163), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090), Carmine (Ci 75470), Manganese Violet (Ci 77742), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140)]
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.