Morning! With the holiday season right around the corner (at least, you know, when it comes to beauty!), I wanted to check in with you on whether I should readjust any of my review practices for the holiday season. It is by far the busiest, most difficult season to cover, and it’s pretty much an endurance race from September through late November. I’d like to find out what aspects are useful and important to you when it comes to holiday sets and palettes (not standalone products like lipsticks).
Here’s some background on how I prioritized and handled last holiday season (you can check out what I managed to cover for 2016 here):
- Post sneak peek swatches
- Test smaller palettes/sets at a higher priority
- one eye might be shades from a larger palette but ensuring faster turnaround of reviews by simultaneously testing smaller sets instead of using all available face space for a larger palette for 2-4 days consecutively)
- Alternate testing of larger sets/palettes with standalone, new-for-holiday shades and products
- Prioritize larger palettes/sets from key brands with higher chance of selling out
- Examples: such as more popular, consistent brands like Anastasia, Becca, Bite, Kat Von D, NARS, Urban Decay, etc.
- Reduce priority of larger palettes/sets that seem mediocre from initial tests
- Especially if it has been performing consistently with how it swatched (e.g. sheer, powdery swatches -> poor wear on the eye, no surprises there)
- Or from brands that tend to release several mega palettes/sets and are known for sub-par performance in those releases
For desktop users, the survey should display below, but for mobile users or if the survey below doesn’t display, click here to take the survey directly. Thank you so much for your time!