So Close (380)
Chanel So Close (380) Joues Contraste Blush ($45.00 for 0.21 oz.) is a bright (nearly neon!) orange with warm, reddish undertones and a natural finish. It seemed more matte in the pan, but the more I diffused and blended out the powder on the skin, the more natural the finish seemed to appear–not quite matte, not quite satin. The consistency was soft, lightly dusty in the pan but did not look dry or powdery on the skin.
I actually found that it looked less orange and more pink-coral when worn at semi-sheer to medium coverage, so keep that in mind if you’re really on the hunt for something more orange applied. I had no trouble blending out the powder, and I felt like it wasn’t too difficult to use a lighter hand or less-dense brush to get more buildable application but would not describe it as buildable to begin with (which is how Chanel’s blushes are marketed). This shade wore well for eight and a half hours on me before fading.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Chanel Presage (62) (DC, $38.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Bang (DC, $26.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Surratt Beauty Brillante Idée (P, $32.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Burberry Blossom (P, $42.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Flesh Beauty Fever (P, $26.00) is lighter, more muted, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Coral Lumineux (LE, $70.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Tongue Tied (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Make Up For Ever #410 HD Blush (DC, $26.00) is brighter, glossier (90% similar).
- Clinique Ginger Pop (01) (P, $21.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Groovy (LE, $30.00) is less shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
$45.00/0.17 oz. - $264.71 Per Ounce
The Joues Contraste formula is supposed to have “buildable coverage, from natural to dramatic” with a “flattering radiance” and “silky texture.” The pigmentation ranges from semi-sheer to fully opaque, depending on technique and skin tone, but it seemed exactly as described–buildable–without having to pile it on or spend too long sheering it out. The formula has an extremely smooth, silky consistency that blends out beautifully on the skin. Most shades wear around eight hours on me.
The formula is rose-scented but the scent was largely undetectable applied (but noticeable in the compact).
Browse all of our Chanel Joues Contraste Blush swatches.