MAC Jeanius: Overall & Recommendations
OVERALL, Jeanius is a very cool-toned collection, and surprisingly, it’s not a total miss for warmer skin tones, though. The inclusion of berries like Indigo Pink lipglass and Riveting Rose lipstick are as wearable on cooler skin tones as they are on warmer ones. The eyeshadows are the major let down here, because of the so-so pigmentation and powdery textures. I think the blushes are the best picks from the launch, though Pink Cult is a great pick for light to medium skin tones (darker skin tones won’t see it show up much on them) while Overdyed works on across all.
Photos, Reviews, Swatches
- Blush – Overdyed
- Blush – Pink Cult
- Nail Lacquer – Biker Blue
- Nail Lacquer – Frayed to Order
Check out my recommendations, what to check your stash for, what to skip, and recommendations by skin tone!
must-haves: Pink Cult blush
nice-to-haves: Stovepipe Black eyeshadow, Overdyed blush, Indigo Pink lipglass, Riveting Rose lipstick
skip: Diva in Distress (poor pigmentation, texture)
Check your stash for…
PRETTY, PLEASE (permanent), DOCILE (repromote).
Skip if you have…
- Skip DIVA IN DISTRESS if you have URBAN DECAY MARY JANE; Urban Decay’s is more pigmented and smoother, though it is bluer (because it is more pigmented).
- Skip MOTORHEAD if you have DEEP TRUTH; they’re very similar.
- Skip WHITE JEANIUS if you have WHITE FROST; they’re very similar.
- Skip BIKER BLUE if you have RESCUE BEAUTY UNDER THE STARS; the texture is a bit different but they are similar.
- Skip OVERDYED if you have AMAZON PRINCESS; Overdyed is slightly less magenta.
- Skip PINK CULT if you have BREATH OF PLUM; Breath of Plum is slightly plummier.
- Skip DOCILE if you have CULTURED; the latter is a little darker/more pigmented.
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- light skin tones: Motorhead, White Jeanius eyeshadows; Overdyed, Pink Cult blush; Pretty, Please, Riveting Rose lipsticks; Docile, Indigo Pink lipglasses;
- medium skin tones: Motorhead, Stovepipe Black eyeshadows; Overdyed, Pink Cult blush; Riveting Rose lipstick; Docile, Indigo Pink lipglasses;
- dark skin tones: Motorhead eyeshadow; Overdyed blush; Riveting Rose lipstick; Indigo Pink lipglass
- cool undertones: Diva in Distress, Motorhead, Stovepipe Black, White Jeanius eyeshadows; Overdyed, Pink Cult blush; Pretty, Please, Riveting Rose lipsticks; Docile, Indigo Pink lipglasses
- warm undertones: Motorhead, Stovepipe Black eyeshadows; Overdyed, Pink Cult blush; Riveting Rose lipstick; Painted On lipglass
- universally flattering shades: Motorhead, Stovepipe Black eyeshadows; Biker Blue, Frayed to Order Nail Lacquers; Overdyed blush; Riveting Rose lipstick; Indigo Pink lipglass;