Sydney Grace Velvet Gold Highlighter ($12.00 for 0.25 oz.) is a pale, yellow gold with warm undertones and a metallic sheen. It had very finely-milled shimmer, but it was so bright and shiny that it was much more than a pearlescent finish. It had opaque pigmentation that adhered well to bare skin and blended out with minimal effort. The texture felt dense, lightly creamy, and smooth to the touch, but it picked up well with my tapered highlighting brush. It was just shy of pore-emphasizing territory on my skin, though someone who is more concerned about this may find it does for them. The color stayed on well for eight and a half hours on me before fading slightly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Colour Pop Extra (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Becca Vanilla Quartz (LE, $19.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Becca Vanilla Quartz (P, $38.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Now's the Time (LE, $26.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Makeup Geek Electrify (P, $20.00) is brighter (90% similar).
- Becca Moonstone (P, $19.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Santorini (LE, ) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Urban Decay No Angel (LE, $26.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Lightgasm Highlight (LE, ) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Persona Laguna (P, $24.00) is less shimmery, more muted, warmer (90% similar).
$9.00/0.25 oz. - $36.00 Per Ounce
The highlighters are supposed to be "smooth and pigmented" that "blend like a dream" and "last all day long." The majority of the shades in the range are incredibly pigmented with a creaminess to the texture that makes them a cinch to apply and blend out on my skin. I was most impressed by how soft, almost cream-like the powders were, yet they weren't too loosely-pressed nor were they prone to powderiness. Some of the finishes are very metallic or frosted, so when worn at semi-opaque or higher coverage levels, they can emphasize my skin's natural texture slightly. They have worn between eight and nine hours on me.
Browse all of our Sydney Grace Highlighter swatches.
Silk Mica (Mica (77019), Boron Nitride, L-Lysine Mica (Mica 77019 and Lauroyl Lysine), Caranuba Mica (Mica 77019 and Caranuba Wax), Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Zinc Stearate ((+/- Mica (Mica 77019), Fractionated Coconut Oil (Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Vitamin E (Tocopherol), Silk Powder, Allantoin, Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI77289), Chromium Green (CI77288), Carmine, Iron Oxide (CI 77499, 77491, 77492), Tin Oxide (CI 778161), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Ultramarines (77007), Silica, *Synthetic Flurophylogopite, Zinc (CI 77947), Bronze and Copper Powder (CI 77400), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol))