Smashbox Pearl Spotlight Palette Review, Photos, Swatches
Smashbox Pearl Spotlight Palette ($35.00 for 0.30 oz.) contains three highlighters: a pale yellow, peachy brown, and golden peach. Smashbox describes the palette as having three finishes–subtle glow, moderate, and super sparkle–and that the texture is “ultra-blendable, velvety smooth.” The first two highlighters were better performing than the third, which had a drier, stiffer texture that made it harder to apply and much less pigmented compared to the other two shades.
Turn It On Pearl
Turn It On Pearl is a light, buttery yellow with warm undertones and a pearly sheen. It was intensely pigmented while the powder was so smooth and finely-milled that it almost felt like a cream-based product. The powder blended out nicely on the skin without emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. This shade wore well for eight hours before fading.
- Wet 'n' Wild Sun Ceremony (LE, $2.99) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Anastasia Summer (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Tarte Burst (PiP, ) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Smashbox Glow (LE, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Becca Moonstone (P, $19.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Way Fresh (PiP, $34.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Lisa Eldridge Crystal Nebula (P, $38.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Tarte Daylight (LE, ) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Too Faced Happy Face (P, $30.00) is less shimmery, more muted (90% similar).
- ILIA Decades (P, $34.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
Turn It On Pearl
PiPPermanent in Palette.
Crank It Up Pearl
Crank It Up Pearl is a medium, peachy brown with warm undertones and a sparkling, frosted finish. There was a hint of rosiness in the undertone that was more apparent when I blended it out on my cheeks. The consistency was soft, blendable, and just a touch powdery in the pan, but it applied evenly to my skin and did not emphasize my skin’s natural texture. The pigmentation was fully opaque, but the texture was forgiving enough that it could easily be used with a lighter hand or blended out for sheerer coverage. On me, the highlighter lasted for eight hours.
- MAC Peach (LE, $39.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Milani Dayglow (P, $10.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Dior Golden Glow (04) (P, $50.00) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Tarte Lit (PiP, ) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Cover FX Moonlight (P, $34.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Gilty (LE, $49.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- ColourPop Highly Waisted (P, $10.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Venus Nectar (P, $48.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- bareMinerals The Premiere (LE, $26.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Chanel Or Rose (LE, $70.00) is lighter (90% similar).
Crank It Up Pearl
PiPPermanent in Palette.
Blow a Fuse Pearl
Blow a Fuse Pearl is a light-medium, golden peach with strong, warm undertones and a sparkling finish. It had sheer coverage that was buildable to medium coverage. The texture was drier, stiffer in the pan, and I found it harder to blend out and diffuse. A lot of the sparkles did not bind with the base powder, so they did not translate onto the skin (often trapped in the brush or blended off the face), but the few that remained traveled throughout the day. This shade stayed on for just over seven hours on me.
- Charlotte Tilbury Norman Parkinson (LE, $32.00) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Burberry No. 04 Rose Gold (P, $68.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Rose Inc Glancing (P, $36.00) is darker (95% similar).
- ColourPop Dew Drop (P, $7.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Dior Bronze Glow (004) (P, $50.00) is darker (90% similar).
- ColourPop On a Streak (LE, $11.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Sephora High Noon (P, $16.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Lancome Glowing Lights (P, $30.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Bronze (Highlighter) (PiP, ) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- ColourPop Fly By (LE, $15.00) is less shimmery, darker, less pigmented (90% similar).
Comments on this post are closed.
Even if the third one didn’t rate a “D”, these are all awfully similar so I can’t imagine many people would find having all three of them would be the wisest purchase.
I think they wanted them more similar in color but differ in finish, but unless it’s a go-to shade, it is redundant to have three full pans!
Yikes, not good when 1 out of 3 is a D- !
I know! 🙁
So many highlighters, when will it end?? I’m so bored by them…much rather see eye shadows and lipsticks/glosses which are so much more interesting!! It’s not your fault and I know they’re very hot right now so you have an obligation to the readers. But it just seems every single company is rolling out so many types and variations of highlighters and they all look the same to me, lol.
I’m sure some people feel the same way about lipstick 🙂
I had heard that these didn’t perform that well, but this pearl palette is beautiful! I have a skin tone just slightly lighter and cooler than yours at my very lightest…so especially for the coming months, this will be perfect! So much better for my skin tone than the Nicole G/ Anastasia palette. Although, I am so so so happy that there are palettes for a wider variety of tones! My husband is African American, and I have 3 daughters that are mixed…so I’m always watching out for what they could use and need in the future!
Glad to hear this one will work well for you, Dani! 🙂
Well this one is better, somewhat 🙁
Thanks so much for the review! Your level of depth is always so appreciated. Crazy how much variance there is in just one three-shade palette. I’m a fan of Casey Homes and the palette looks nice enough, but if one out of three shades is a dud, it feels silly to shell out $35. I could just buy another Becca highlight at that price, and at least I would feel comfortable knowing that I love the formula and color selection there.
I wish the third one was more like the first two with respect to texture! 🙁
This product has so much potential but with one doing so poorly, I don’t think it justifies the price!
I agree 🙁
Call me shocked, but I like this trio much more than the previous Smasbox highlighting trio you just reviewed! Very sunny!
I agree. .. so sunny!
I was just thinking that perhaps this one is better than the other you reviewed yesterday, but no – there is a D shade. Save your money folks!
Many other highlighters out there to choose from that are better!
Whoa, they clearly need to improve the formulation on the third colour in these palettes.
Love they eye look!
Thank you, Isa!
I don’t care for the color selection of this palette. Not enough variety for me.
That makes sense to me!