Smashbox Gilded Rose Petal Metal Highlighter ($39.00 for 0.35 oz.) is a soft, peachy gold with a pink iridescent sheen and a luminous finish. It had semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation that did not emphasize my skin’s natural texture. On my skin tone, it was more in the vein of “my skin but better,” as it added subtle warmth and noticeable shine with little color, though I caught the pinkish shift on occasion. The pink sheen was more pronounced when paired with cooler-toned blushes. The texture was moderately dense, smooth, and firm in the pan so there was no excess product kicked up, but the powder still blended out nicely on my skin. This shade lasted well for eight hours on me before fading slightly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Dior Golden Glow (04) (P, $48.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NABLA Cosmetics Privilege (P, $26.00) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- ColourPop Hope St. (P, $8.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NARS Last Call (LE, $30.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Jouer Citrine (PiP, $24.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Anastasia Sand (P, $22.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Cover FX Moonlight (P, $34.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Spotlight (LE, $26.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Morphe Spark (P, $14.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Natasha Denona Love Glow (Glow Impact Powder) (PiP, $42.00) is warmer (90% similar).
$39.00/0.35 oz. - $111.43 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have a "radiant" finish that lasts for "10 hours" with a "velvety and blendable" formula where the shine can be built up in layers or used with a dampened brush. The highlighting powder has a gel-powder hybrid feel--dense, firm, but not stiff or difficult to blend out on the skin--that is similar to formulas like MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinishes, NARS Dual Intensity Highlighters/Blushes, Estee Lauder Gelees, and so on. They apply best using a moderately dense brush over anything really feathery (like a fan brush). The pigmentation varied from semi-opaque to opaque, was buildable, and lasted for eight to nine hours on me.
Browse all of our Smashbox Petal Metal Highlighter swatches.
Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, C12-20 Acid PEG-8 Ester, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Alumina, Squalane, Glycerin, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Tin Oxide, Polysorbate 80, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Aluminum Powder (CI 77000), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Bronze Powder (CI 77400), Carmine (CI 75470), Copper Powder (CI 77400), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.