Pat McGrath Electra BlitzTrance Lipstick ($38.00 for 0.13 oz.)
is a rich, fiery red with warm, gold and copper sparkle and micro-glitter. It can look redder or more orange depending on the light and how it plays with all of the sparkle/glitter. The lipstick was richly pigmented with nearly opaque pigmentation in a single layer, and it built up to full coverage with just a bit more to top off certain areas. The consistency was lightly creamy, fairly smooth, but I could detect the texture from all the sparkle in it. When I pressed my lips together, I knew I was wearing a sparkly lip product, but it did not feel rough or uncomfortable to wear. It wore well for five and a half hours and left a pink-red stain behind, while the formula felt lightly hydrating over time.
- Kat Von D Rocker (P, $22.00) is less shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- Fenty Beauty So Chilli (LE, ) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Heatwave (LE, $18.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Estee Lauder Hot Chills (310) (P, $32.00) is less shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Seether (P, $18.00) is less shimmery, darker, more muted (85% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Just Peachy (LE, $30.00) is less shimmery, lighter (80% similar).
- Kat Von D Thin Lizzy (DC, $21.00) is less shimmery, lighter (80% similar).
- Stellar Beauty Disco Moon 01 (P, $22.00) is darker, more muted, cooler (80% similar).
- Ciate Flash (P, $22.00) is cooler (80% similar).
- Estee Lauder Slowburn (130) (P, $32.00) is less shimmery, darker (80% similar).
$38.00/0.13 oz. - $292.31 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "one-stroke colour" with "ultra-reflective pearls" paired with a "silky" and "creamy" texture that yields "multi-dimensional shine." The pigmentation varied from shade to shade with more medium to semi-opaque pigmentation that "full coverage," and the amount of shimmer/glitter also varied significantly from to shade. For example, Blitz Trance has a very glittery look on the lips, whereas Flesh Fatale had a subtle, sparkling finish. They had a lot of shine, though, with being wet in feel or all that glossy, which seemed to linger for longer than the average lipstick--the shine didn't immediately dull after taking a sip of something or talking for a few minutes.
The consistency was lightly creamy with moderate slip, but it didn't feel too thick or heavy, so the color didn't slide around on my lips and adhered evenly for the most part. Shades that were more glittery felt that way in the tube as I applied them to my lips with the glitter being less noticeable on my lips, though those who may be more sensitive to glitter may find it at least somewhat apparent--at the very least, this formulation is not disguising the texture of all that sparkly goodness. They were lightly to moderately hydrating, comfortable to wear, and lasted between three and five hours. I feel like the best way to sum these up as: they're sparkling and luminous with medium, buildable color payoff that lasts an average length of time. They did not have any scent or taste from what I could tell!
Browse all of our Pat McGrath BlitzTrance Lipstick swatches.