Pat McGrath Divine Brown MatteTrance Lipstick ($38.00 for 0.14 oz.) is a deep, reddish-brown with subtle, warm undertones and a cream finish. It had intense color payoff that applied evenly and smoothly across the lips–never tugging–in a single stroke. The consistency was velvety, lightly creamy, and smooth, so it adhered well to my lips and did not slide around, but it still felt comfortable as it wore. It lost a lot of its initial shine within two hours of wear, and then it was matte from thereon. The color stayed on well for seven hours and was neither drying nor hydrating.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Anastasia #6 (Vol. 1) (PiP, ) is less glossy (95% similar).
- MAC Modern Temptress (LE, $20.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Sephora But First Coffee (58) (P, $8.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- ColourPop Chocolatier (LE, $7.00) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Clinique Velvet Kisses (29) (P, $19.50) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Makeup Geek Witty (P, $15.00) is lighter, brighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Clove (DC, $24.00) is brighter, glossier (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Cognac (P, $24.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- YSL Ambiguous Chestnut (216) (P, $39.00) is more shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Becca Chocolate (P, $24.00) is warmer, glossier (90% similar).
$40.00/0.14 oz. - $285.71 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to be “richly pigmented” with “”supreme hydration” and “opulent matte opacity.” The consistency was smooth, velvety, and dense without being too firm for one-stroke, glide-on application (I found the original shades to be slightly firmer compared to more newly released shades). They had nearly opaque to opaque coverage in one layer and most were buildable.
They had a subtle sheen--more satin-to-cream in finish--that wore down to a natural matte finish within an hour or two of wear. The formula lasted between four and eight hours on me, and while most weren't drying, they aren't "supreme[ly" hydrating either. They are, however, comfortable to wear over a longer period of time and reapply well. There was no discernible scent or taste to the formula.
Browse all of our Pat McGrath MatteTrance Lipstick swatches.