NARS Albatross Highlighting Powder (2018)NARS Albatross Highlighting Powder (2018) ($38.00 for 0.49 oz.) is a bright, light white gold with warm, yellow undertones and a metallic sheen. It had semi-opaque, buildable color payoff that applied evenly and smoothly to bare skin. The powder blended out effortlessly, and the more I buffed and worked the powder onto my skin, the shinier and more metallic it looked, though it did not emphasize my skin’s natural texture. It wore well for almost nine hours on me before fading slightly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Anastasia Vegas (P, $25.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- ColourPop Jelly Roll (PiP, $8.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Makeup Revolution Golden Lights (P, $6.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Gilt Glow (LE, $68.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NYX Ritualistic (P, $9.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- LORAC Star Reader (LE, $23.00) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Persona Laguna (P, $24.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- ColourPop Good as Gateau (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Becca Vanilla Quartz (P, $38.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- NARS Albatross (P, ) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
$38.00/0.49 oz. - $77.55 Per Ounce
The new powder highlighter formula is supposed to "melt seamlessly into skin to enhance your natural glow" with "buildable radiance." The texture had a smooth feel that was finely-milled but firmer, almost stiff in a way, in the pan (not in a bad way), and it was not at all powdery. There was a dryness and thinness present in the texture that made it less like traditional powder highlighter formulas (including the brand's original range of highlighting powders), and none of that translated into poor performance.
That being said, all of the shades applied better on the cheeks than the they did applied to my arm. I also noticed that finish became more and more luminous--almost blindingly at times!--as the powder was buffed and blended on my cheeks. They were very reflective and shiny on my cheek bones with semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation. I had no trouble blending and diffusing any of the shades on my skin, and despite having a firmer feel in the pan, I could use fan brushes and other feathery brushes to pickup product. The powders lasted between eight and nine hours on me.
Browse all of our NARS Highlighting Powder (2018) swatches.