Make Up For Ever M205 Artist Rouge LipstickMake Up For Ever M205 Artist Rouge Lipstick ($22.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a medium-dark plum with cooler undertones and a semi-matte finish. It wasn’t shiny, but the texture was creamy and velvety enough that it did not appear flat or totally matte to my eye, though it eventually wore down to a matte finish after a couple of hours of wearing it. It had opaque pigmentation that applied evenly across the lips, but there was a touch of color that separated and pulled into my deeper lip lines over time. This shade lasted well for five hours and was non-drying.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Urban Decay Echo (P, $22.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- NARS Mayhem (LE, $27.00) is lighter, glossier (95% similar).
- NARS Vicious (LE, $27.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Laura Mercier Sophia (LE, $28.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Kat Von D Lovecraft (P, $20.00) is lighter, cooler, less glossy (85% similar).
- Sephora Day Dreaming (81) (P, $14.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- MAC Soar (P, $20.00) is darker (90% similar).
- NARS Lovin' Lips (P, $26.00) is warmer (85% similar).
- Urban Decay Comeback (P, $18.00) is lighter, less glossy (90% similar).
- NARS American Woman (P, $26.00) is warmer (85% similar).
$22.00/0.12 oz. - $183.33 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to be long-wearing, “extremely pigmented,” and hydrating. It is available in two finishes–Cream and Matte, indicated by the C or M in the beginning of each shade’s name. The Cream formula is richly pigmented, lightly creamy without being too emollient or slippery, and go on smoothly and feel good while worn (wear ranges from four to eight hours, depending on the shade).
The Matte formula is thinner and clings somewhat to lips, though it goes on nicely and doesn’t tug, and it doesn’t always look flattering on as it can emphasize imperfections on my lips but really depends on the shade, as some look great on. I found the Cream formula to be moderately hydrating, while the Matte formula was slightly to moderately drying. All shades had a slight, rosy scent to them, though I didn’t notice any taste.
Browse all of our Make Up For Ever Artist Rouge Lipstick swatches.