Make Up For Ever B216 Artist Face Color ($23.00 for 0.17 oz.) is a rich, medium magenta with cool undertones and a satin sheen. It was intensely pigmented and had a finish that looked more luminous as it was buffed onto the skin, though it was never shimmery. The blush had a smooth, moderately dense consistency that was surprisingly blendable for such an intense shade; it wasn’t effortless, but it wasn’t a struggle at all. The color stayed vibrant for nine hours on my skin.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- MAC Bright Pink (P, $16.00) is brighter (95% similar).
- Colour Pop Pie (DC, $8.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Surratt Beauty Se Pomponner (P, $32.00) is brighter (95% similar).
- Sephora I'm Shocked (09) (P, $14.00) is darker (95% similar).
- LORAC Unashamed (LE, ) is lighter (95% similar).
- MAC This Could Be Fun (LE, $24.00) is darker (95% similar).
- LORAC Vivid (P, $23.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Viseart Rose #3 (PiP, ) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Anastasia C2 (Norvina Vol. 4) (LE, ) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Anastasia B3 (Norvina Mini Vol. 1) (LE, ) is less shimmery, less glossy (90% similar).
$23.00/0.17 oz. - $135.29 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "intense color payoff" with a "long-lasting finish." The range is split into three types--Highlighters, Sculpting Powders, and Blushes--that is easy to determine by the first letter of the shade name (H for Highlighter, S for Sculpting, and B for Blush).
There are three finishes--matte, shimmer, and pearl but was less obvious. In fact, the majority of the "matte" shades were more like semi-matte or natural matte where there were no distinctive shimmer particles but they seemed to take on the natural finish of the skin, which gave the "mattes" a particularly seamless finish on the skin but might be dewier on oilier skin types than desired. None of the 34 shades available were frosted or metallic except three of the highlighters (H100, H106, H312).
The pigmentation ranged from medium to opaque, depending largely on the shade, though they were always buildable if they were not opaque in a single layer. Some of the deeper, more matte shades were less forgiving and took more effort to diffuse and blend, even when I used a lighter hand or a more feathery brush. The texture was smooth, velvety, and moderately dense without any powderiness or dustiness in the pan. The formula has lasted between eight and ten hours on me.
Browse all of our Make Up For Ever Artist Face Color - Blush swatches.