Whisper of Gilt
MAC Whisper of Gilt Extra Dimension Skinfinish ($33.00 for 0.31 oz.) is a bright, light-medium gold with warmer, peachy-gold undertones and a metallic sheen. It was richly pigmented and had a smooth, soft consistency that was easy to apply to my skin and blended out with almost no effort at all. I didn’t find it emphasized my skin’s natural texture at higher-coverage levels. It wore well for eight and a half hours on me before it started to fade a bit.
I have had a few iterations of this product over the years, and I did notice that this version (which is permanent) was a bit lighter than the oldest one I have on hand, though I think for anyone who is fair to medium and tends to wear their highlighter at sheerer coverage levels, the difference wouldn’t be noticeable as the difference was detectable at high coverage only.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic Star (LE, $45.00) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- ColourPop The Real Thing (LE, $10.00) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- ColourPop On the Loose (PiP, $8.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Flicker (Top) (PiP, ) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- MAC Always One Jump Ahead (LE, $35.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Gold Bullion (LE, ) is darker (95% similar).
- Dior Midnight Wish (LE, $45.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Rosy Cheer (LE, ) is darker (90% similar).
- Laura Geller Gilded Honey (P, $26.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Anastasia Dripping in Gold (LE, ) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
$37.00/0.31 oz. - $119.35 Per Ounce
The Extra Dimension Skinfinish formula is supposed to give “the perfect glow to the skin” with a “creamy powder formula” that wears for “10 hours.” It’s a powder highlighter that I’d describe as a moderate to intense highlighter, and they come in varying hues with some that might work as highlighting blushes/bronzers are on some skin tones and true highlighters on other skin tones. In general, the formula is very pigmented, blendable, and wears around eight to nine hours on me.
Browse all of our MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish swatches.