From top left: This & That, Sage & Wisdom, Heaven & Earth, Mix & Switch, Pretty & Prim, Thunder & Rain
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow Duos (2011) vs. In the Groove Mineralize Eyeshadow Trios
As speculated in my review, the new duos (which I’m still waiting to get official word on re: release date for in-stores, how long they’ll be available for, etc.) are definitely reincarnations of the trios from In the Groove. Five of the six duos correspond with a trio, while one duo requires taking a shade from two different trios to match–but for the most part, they are all quite similar. All swatches are applied wet (using water to dampen).
- This & That is a duo that I had to take a shade from two different trios. The ivory side in This & That is warmer than the ivory in Cool, Calm, Collected. The beige side in This & That is indistinguishable from the beige (middle strip) in Making It Easy.
- Mix & Switch compares closely to Making It Easy. The lighter peach side looks about the same in both. The coppery shade in Mix & Switch is more orange-based than in Making It Easy, which is a little browner and redder.
- Sage & Wisdom is incredibly similar to Cool, Calm, Collected. I couldn’t tell the difference between the two in terms of color. The darker shade swatches slightly better in Sage & Wisdom than in Cool, Calm, Collected.
- Heaven & Earth is a near perfect match to Blue My Mind. The blue in Heaven & Earth is slightly more pigmented and looks a little deeper, but they are very much the same, as are the two black shades.
- Thunder & Rain matches Togetherness well–the purples are indistinguishable from each other, while the silver in Thunder & Rain applies smoother than the one in Togetherness, but the colors are about the same.
- Pretty & Prim is quite similar to Fresh & Easy. The lighter pink seems a little yellower in Pretty & Prim compared to Fresh & Easy, but the darker berry shade seems the same. I had several readers ask how Pretty & Prim compared to Band of Roses, but the two are from different planets – not at all similar.
This & That (ivory side) vs. Cool, Calm, Collected (ivory side
This & That (beige side) vs. Making It Easy (beige side, middle strip)
Mix & Switch vs. Making It Easy
Mix & Switch (peach side) vs. Making It Easy (peach side)
Mix & Switch (copper) vs. Making It Easy (copper)
Sage & Wisdom vs. Cool, Calm, Collected
Sage & Wisdom (light green) vs. Cool, Calm, Collected (light green)
Sage & Wisdom (dark green) vs. Cool, Calm, Collected (dark green)
Heaven & Earth vs. Blue My Mind
Heaven & Earth (light blue) vs. Blue My Mind (light blue)
Heaven & Earth (black) vs. Blue My Mind (black)
Togetherness vs. Thunder & Rain
Thunder & Rain (purple) vs. Togetherness (purple)
Thunder & Rain (silver) vs. Togetherness (silver)
Pretty & Prim vs. Fresh & Easy vs. Band of Roses
Band of Roses (dark pink) vs. Pretty & Prim (berry) vs. Fresh & Easy (berry)
Pretty & Prim (pink) vs. Fresh & Easy (pink) vs. Band of Roses (pink)
Pretty & Prim vs. Fresh & Easy
Pretty & Prim (berry) vs. Fresh & Easy (berry)
Pretty & Prim (pink) vs. Fresh & Easy (pink)