MAC Ionized Iris Lipstick ($17.00 for 0.10 oz.) is a bright, medium fuchsia pink with cool, blue undertones and a mix of finer pink shimmer and larger fuchsia sparkle. The consistency was fairly smooth–though I could feel some of the shimmer/sparkle in it as I glided it across my lips–and had some slip but did not feel slippery on the lips. It had semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation that applied evenly onto my lips and sat well on them without getting into my lip lines. The color lasted well for four hours on me and was lightly hydrating.
This shade, along with six other new shades, will launch on June 22nd online and in stores/at counters.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Fenty Beauty Cuffing Season (LE, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Big Bang (DC, $18.00) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Too Faced Mean Girls (DC, $22.00) is lighter, more muted (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Cyber Orchid (P, $40.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- NYX Buzzkill (P, $7.50) is less glossy (90% similar).
- Stellar Beauty Disco Moon 03 (P, $22.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Fuchsia Frosting (P, $24.00) is darker (90% similar).
- MAC Show Orchid (P, $19.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Fyrinnae Sexy Nerd (P, $7.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- KVD Beauty Sexer (DC, $21.00) is less shimmery, darker, less glossy (90% similar).
$19.00/0.1 oz. - $190.00 Per Ounce
MAC Lipstick comes in a variety of finishes, and the pigmentation and wear tend to be dependent on the finish. The sheer finishes, like Lustres, tend to wear for only a couple of hours and have sheer coverage (as designed) and are non-drying.
Some of the original Matte shades have a stiffer, drier formula, while newer ones have a more velvety, silicone-feel to them, and the latter are creamier, more comfortable to wear, and easier to apply, but most Matte shades are quite pigmented and long-wearing, though some are drying.
The Amplified and Satin finishes tend to have good pigmentation, lightly creamy to moderately creamy consistencies with a bit of shine, and moderate to long wear with deeper, richer shades wearing longer. The Frost and Metallic finishes have the most variance between shades with coverage ranging from semi-sheer to opaque with average wear and non-drying to slightly drying formulas. All MAC lipsticks are vanilla-scented but have no discernible taste.
Browse all of our MAC Lipstick swatches.