MAC Bronze FX Hyper Real Foundation ($31.00 for 1.00 oz.) is a medium, coppery-brown with warm, golden pearl. It had buildable pigmentation from semi-sheer to mostly opaque (two to three layers) that sat well on bare skin without emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. This particular shade gave me subtle color and tint, so it would likely to be very my-skin-but-better on medium to tan complexions in particular. The consistency was lightweight, thin, and watery without being too runny or prone to sheering out to barely-there coverage. I didn’t have any trouble applying it to my cheek bones as a standalone highlighter and getting a moderate shine and some color. This shade stayed on nicely for eight and a half hours on my skin.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- ILIA Fame (P, $34.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- Smashbox Crank It Up Gold (PiP, ) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Persona Del Mar (P, $24.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- NYX Gold Rush (P, $6.99) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Huda Beauty Barbados (PiP, ) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Too Faced You Light Up My Life (P, $30.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Acting Up (P, $8.00) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Anastasia Glo Getter (LE, ) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Milani Glowing (P, $10.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Natasha Denona Bronze (PiP, ) is more shimmery (90% similar).
$31.00/1 oz. - $31.00 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to be a "weightless liquid highlighter" that has a "refined high-pearl finish" that wears for "eight hours." It can be "layer[ed] under foundation" or applied "over foundation as a highlighter." The consistency was smooth, thin, and had a touch of slip to keep it from feeling like water but was still easily mixed into foundation and moisturizer, applied on its own all-over the skin (like a primer), or dabbed on top of high points of the face to highlight. The latter I liked using fingertips or putting a touch on the back of my hand and swirling a synthetic brush in, then tapping onto the high points and using the edge of the bristles to diffuse the highlighter onto my skin.
It had semi-sheer, buildable coverage, depending on how much was used and how it was applied. It added noticeable luminosity when layered under foundation or mixed with foundation (assuming one did not layer a full coverage, matte formula on top!). They had a very skin-like luminosity--natural, glowing, but not overtly shimmery and definitely didn't emphasize my skin's natural texture. The formula dried down in 10-15 seconds and stayed on well for eight to nine hours on me (when worn as a standalone highlighter).
Browse all of our MAC Hyper Real Foundation swatches.