Laura Mercier Sensation Face Illuminator ($45.00 for 0.3 oz.) is a deeper coppery brown with moderate, warm undertones and a intense, metallic finish. It was one of the more intense highlighters in the brand’s range (instead of being a little more buildable). It had opaque color coverage in a single layer, but the formula was that gel-powder hybrid type, so that the texture was firmer (but not stiff) and would easily yield less pigment with a lighter hand.
While I don’t recommend fan brushes with most products, this one might work well with it to achieve a subtler sheen. Using a moderately-dense brush, it gave me intense, metallic finish that did emphasize my skin’s natural texture slightly. It stayed on well for eight and a half hours before fading a bit.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Becca Blushed Copper (DC, $34.00) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- MAC Cheek Pollen (LE, $24.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Melt Cosmetics Lynx (P, $22.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- MAC Format (P, $24.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Sinamon (P, $25.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Glo Up (LE, $8.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Melt Cosmetics Sundown (P, $22.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Laura Geller Sunswept (P, $28.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Tower 28 West Coast (P, $20.00) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- MAC Cloudy Copper (LE, $31.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (85% similar).
$45.00/0.3 oz. - $150.00 Per Ounce
According to the brand, Laura Mercier Face Illuminator ($44.00 for 0.30 oz.) supposed to be a “long-wearing, buildable” highlighter that gives a “natural-looking” glow. The formula was typically more buildable from medium to opaque coverage with a noticeable sheen that could get more frosted/metallic if applied heavily but didn't emphasize my pores. The texture was smooth and blendable, but there was a bit of dryness to it that seemed common to this type of formula (think MAC Extra Dimension, NARS Dual-Intensity, Estee Lauder Gelee, etc.). On my normal-to-dry skin, the highlighter tended to last around eight hours.
Browse all of our Laura Mercier Face Illuminator swatches.