Giorgio Armani Mahogany (601) Lip Maestro ($38.00 for 0.22 oz.) is a deep burgundy with neutral-to-warm undertones and barely-there pearl strewn through a more cream-like finish. It had semi-opaque color coverage, which went on fairly evenly and wasn’t noticeably in my lip lines–I couldn’t see the settling in person but I can see it in the close-up photo. It could have been more pigmented and applied a bit more evenly overall, though.
The texture was smooth, fluid, and not too thick or too them, so it had a gel-cream feel when applied to my lips that was cushion-y, non-sticky, but didn’t slide around during wear. It stayed on well for seven hours, left a faint stain behind, and felt hydrating over time, and it wasn’t something that feathered/migrated on me, though that’s not an issue I tend to experience (generally).
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview, for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Shiseido Noble Plum (224) (P, $26.00) is less shimmery, less glossy (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Liev (LE, $36.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Estee Lauder Nude Fatale (P, $32.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Guerlain #555 (P, $33.00) is less shimmery, more muted (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Full Blooded (P, $40.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Sephora Goddess (30) (P, $13.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Truffle (DC, $24.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- NARS Siouxsie (LE, $34.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Anarkissed (P, $40.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Tarte High Dive (P, $21.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
$38.00/0.22 oz. - $172.73 Per Ounce
The consistency has more slip and a velvety-smooth feel that softly “clings” to the lips, so while the finish has a glossier look for the first few hours, the color stays on well. If you’ve ever used a silicone-based primer, there’s a bit of that feel to the formula overall. Most shades last between six and eight hours on me, are non-drying to lightly hydrating, and comfortable to wear. The formula is unscented and has no discernible taste.
The Lip Maestro Notorious formula is supposed to have a “luminous matte” finish with “8 hours of wear” and “high pigment.” The Notorious shades are inspired by “chic Hollywood glamour” but otherwise appear very similar in feel to the original Lip Maestro formula.
Browse all of our Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro swatches.
DIMETHICONE, BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, KAOLIN, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, ISOSTEARYL ISOSTEARATE, POLYETHYLENE, VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, NYLON-12, PENTYLENE GLYCOL, HYDRATED SILICA, MAGNESIUM SILICATE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, SILICA, CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE, CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE, SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE, PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE, TIN OXIDE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, METHICONE, ALUMINA, [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 15850/RED 7, CI 7789/TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/IRON OXIDES, CI 45410/RED 28 LAKE, CI 15985/YELLOW 6 LAKE, CI 45380/RED 22 LAKE, CI 19140/YELLOW 5 LAKE, CI 42090/BLUE 1 LAKE, CI 15850/RED 7 LAKE, CI 15850/RED 6, CI 75470/CARMINE, MICA]