Estee Lauder Christmas Kiss Hi-Lustre Pure Color Envy Lipstick ($32.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a bright, medium pinky-red with fine ruby red and pink pearl. It had nearly opaque color coverage that went on evenly and smoothly.
The Hi-Lustre formula is supposed to have medium coverage, shine, and shimmer with a hydrating formula. I’m a fan of the Pure Color lipstick range, and the Hi-Lustre formula “downside” is that it tends to be closer to semi-opaque to opaque coverage rather than a true medium coverage formula. The texture was lightweight, comfortable to wear with a touch of tackiness, that sat well on the lips and lasted for six and a half hours. The color stained slightly, but it was faint, and it felt hydrating while worn.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Tom Ford Beauty Alejandro (P, $36.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Smashbox Legendary (PiP, $21.00) is darker (95% similar).
- ColourPop JujuRouge (LE, $7.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Wet 'n' Wild Cherry Frost (P, $0.99) is glossier (95% similar).
- KVD Beauty Adora (P, $19.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Chanel Coco Club (136) (LE, $40.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Guerlain Red Hot (328) (P, $37.00) is less shimmery, lighter, brighter (90% similar).
- Guerlain Rouge Saphir (821) (DC, $58.00) is darker, glossier (90% similar).
- YSL Light Me Red (119) (LE, $38.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Prepare for Pleasure (LE, $21.00) is brighter (90% similar).
$32.00/0.12 oz. - $266.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have medium coverage with a lustrous finish. It took the Pure Color Envy formula and added shimmer to it with the end result varying from lightly pearlized to more frosted and near-metallic. The shimmer was finer in size, so the lipsticks did not feel gritty on the lips, and the particles didn’t migrate as the lipstick wore down.
The coverage ranged from semi-sheer to nearly opaque, so it really depended on the shade on how true it was to medium coverage. The formula felt lightly creamy, thinner but not clingy, and with just enough slip to be comfortable to apply and to wear without feeling slippery during wear. The shades lasted from four to six hours and usually hydrating while worn.
The formula had a vanilla scent but no discernible taste.
Browse all of our Estee Lauder Hi-Lustre Pure Color Envy Lipstick swatches.