Colour Pop Neat Freak Ultra Glossy Lip ($6.00 for 0.11 oz.) has a translucent base with flecks of gold and pink sparkle that has a high-shine, mirror-like finish. It had a moderate amount of pearl and larger flecks of sparkle, so there was a noticeable, sparkling effect on the lips along with the glossy, shiny finish of the formula. (The clear nature of the base was intended.) The consistency was smooth, lightweight, and non-tacky with a slightly plusher thickness that helped minimize the product getting into my lip lines. It wore well for three hours and was hydrating while worn.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Melt Cosmetics Johnny Rose (LE, $16.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Buzz Cut (LE, $19.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Inter-spatial (LE, $22.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Mythic Journey (LE, $6.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Pale Fire Nectar (P, $30.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Surratt Beauty Amethyste (P, $32.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Dose of Colors The Most (LE, $17.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Sugar Coat (LE, $18.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Supercute (LE, $6.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- Patrick Ta She's Expensive (P, $22.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
$6.00/0.11 oz. - $54.55 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "hi-shine" with a "non-sticky" texture that "feels amazing" and includes five finishes "from 3-D pearl to sheer tinted colour." They are designed to be a sheerer formula, so many shades are sheer with a smattering of shimmer or sparkle and then a few are more tinted with sheer to semi-sheer coverage but no shimmer. Each gloss has a short, brush-type applicator, which worked better than I expected and didn't leave streaky results behind (in general). They had a sweet, vanilla scent but no discernible taste.
The "Tinted" finish ("glass-like shine with tint of sheer colour and no shimmer") was the least consistent--sometimes prone to unevenness and getting into lip lines, particularly with deeper/richer shades, whereas Pearlescent ("glass-like shine with subtle shimmer") and Prismatic ("glass-like shine with floating multi dimensional pearl and glitters") are sheer to translucent with the major difference being finer shimmer in the Pearlescent finish and larger, more glitter-like particles in the Prismatic finish. Both finishes tended to look plush and more smoothing on my lips. The Creme finish is a "medium-coverage gloss with a creamy finish that does not contain any pearls or glitter." The Metallic is described as a "full-coverage gloss with a mix of pearl and metallic finishes."
The wear time varied by shade but the sheerer ones tended to wear between two and three hours as the formula was, indeed, non-sticky and smooth, which made them lighter-weight and comfortable to wear but shorter wearing. A lot of the sheerer shades ran together, so I would recommend just picking up one or two rather than several as the differences are likely to be lost! Also, keep in mind that sheerer lip colors can look different from person to person due to much of the natural lip color coming through.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Glossy Lip swatches.