NKLA x Laura Lee
Colour Pop NKLA x Laura Lee Lip Trio ($18.00 for 0.30 oz.) is a new, limited edition trio of lip colors that includes a gloss, liquid lipstick, and a metallic liquid lipstick. Each shade can also be purchased individually desired. This set, as well as when purchased separately is part of ColourPop’s partnership with NKLA, and the net profits from the sales of these shades will go toward NKLA.
All net profits from the purchase of “Puppy Love,” “Cat Nap,” and/or any Laura Lee x ColourPop product will go towards Best Friends Animal Society®, a leading national animal welfare organization dedicated to ending the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters. Through their NKLA initiative and all across the country, they’re working to Save Them All®.
Wham is a light-medium gold with warm undertones and a fine, pearly shimmer and larger light, gold sparkle. It had semi-sheer coverage where the natural lip color came through noticeably but there was a fair amount of shimmer. Unfortunately, the “Metallic” finish is described as a “full-coverage gloss,” which this was not, though it was certainly pretty and easy to wear. There was a bit of product that pulled into my deeper lip lines but the shine and sparkly nature of the finish made it hard to tell in person. It lasted for four hours on me and was lightly hydrating.
- Jouer Skinny Dip (P, $16.00) is darker (90% similar).
- MAC Kindness (LE, $20.00) (90% similar).
- Dior Gold Rain (164) (LE, $29.50) is cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop KT (LE, $6.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Becca Pearl x Gold (LE, $22.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Pleasure Planet (LE, $17.50) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Dose of Colors Over the Top (LE, $17.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Goldfinch (P, $17.50) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Flutter Valley (LE, $6.00) is darker (85% similar).
- Bobbi Brown Candlelight (LE, $24.00) is less shimmery (85% similar).
$6.00/0.11 oz. - $54.55 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "hi-shine" with a "non-sticky" texture that "feels amazing" and includes five finishes "from 3-D pearl to sheer tinted colour." They are designed to be a sheerer formula, so many shades are sheer with a smattering of shimmer or sparkle and then a few are more tinted with sheer to semi-sheer coverage but no shimmer. Each gloss has a short, brush-type applicator, which worked better than I expected and didn't leave streaky results behind (in general). They had a sweet, vanilla scent but no discernible taste.
The "Tinted" finish ("glass-like shine with tint of sheer colour and no shimmer") was the least consistent--sometimes prone to unevenness and getting into lip lines, particularly with deeper/richer shades, whereas Pearlescent ("glass-like shine with subtle shimmer") and Prismatic ("glass-like shine with floating multi dimensional pearl and glitters") are sheer to translucent with the major difference being finer shimmer in the Pearlescent finish and larger, more glitter-like particles in the Prismatic finish. Both finishes tended to look plush and more smoothing on my lips. The Creme finish is a "medium-coverage gloss with a creamy finish that does not contain any pearls or glitter." The Metallic is described as a "full-coverage gloss with a mix of pearl and metallic finishes."
The wear time varied by shade but the sheerer ones tended to wear between two and three hours as the formula was, indeed, non-sticky and smooth, which made them lighter-weight and comfortable to wear but shorter wearing. A lot of the sheerer shades ran together, so I would recommend just picking up one or two rather than several as the differences are likely to be lost! Also, keep in mind that sheerer lip colors can look different from person to person due to much of the natural lip color coming through.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Glossy Lip swatches.
Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Disostearyl Malate, Isopropyl Myristate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Triisostearin, Synthetic Beeswax, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Silica, Propylene Carbonate, Tin Oxide, Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
Bam is a deep red with subtle, cool undertones and a natural sheen. It had semi-opaque pigmentation, which was a surprise as most shades in the Ultra Satin formula are quite opaque. The consistency was thinner and more watery as well, and I could see the differences in texture resulting in the way it appeared on the lips. It dried a bit more but felt lightly tacky, though I didn’t notice it lifting color when I pressed my lips together. The color stayed on well for seven and a half hours and was lightly drying toward the sixth hour on me.
- Colour Pop Tiana (LE, $7.00) is darker, cooler (95% similar).
- Pat McGrath 35MM (P, $40.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Fetishist (P, $54.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
- MAC Dreaming of You (LE, $19.50) is darker (95% similar).
- Bobbi Brown Red Berry (P, $37.00) is lighter, glossier (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Liquorice (P, $24.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Buxom Voodoo Spice (P, $22.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Shiseido Curious Cassis (RD620) (DC, $28.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Hourglass You Inspire (LE, $34.00) is cooler, glossier (90% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Blow (210) (P, $30.00) is glossier (90% similar).
$7.00/0.11 oz. - $63.64 Per Ounce
It is supposed to be a “lightweight, bold lipstick with a satin finish”liquid lipstick that is “extra intense colour saturation” and “long-wearing,” but the brand is quick to note that it is “not completely kiss proof.” The consistency is very light to lightweight with a thin to mousse-like consistency–they feel a little heavier going on than the Ultra Matte formula, but they don’t feel heavy on. They dry down somewhat, but it isn’t a full, flat dry down like matte liquid lipsticks, and when you press your lips together, there is moderate tackiness there, but I didn’t notice any lifting or separating of color by doing so.
They have been extremely long-wearing and comfortable to wear for the most part–it’s after ten hours or so that I notice my lips feeling a little dry–but six hours into wear and the colors have looked good post-meals/post-drinking. I think if you like the idea of longer-wearing, mostly matte lip color but find most liquid lipsticks too drying or too flat while not needing an ultra-hydrating formula, you might like these.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Satin Liquid Lipstick swatches.
Isododecane, Diisostearyl Malate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, C10-18 Triglycerides, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Pentylene Glycol, Silica Silylate, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Iron Oxide (CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140).
Glam is a medium-dark, coppery brown with warm undertones and a metallic sheen. It had good color coverage in a single layer, though it wasn’t quite opaque without a second layer. The consistency was smooth and thin without being watery, so it spread well across the lips with even coverage and dried down fairly quickly. It remained tacky for the first hour or so and I did have a bit of color lift over time. This shade wore well for five and a half hours and was slightly drying toward the end of wear.
- Tom Ford Beauty Copper Chic (P, $54.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- Colour Pop Maneater (LE, $6.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Cher-ished (LE, $30.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- NARS Shatter (LE, $26.00) is less shimmery, warmer, less glossy (90% similar).
- MAC Spanish Fly (P, $19.50) is lighter (90% similar).
- Milk Makeup Angel (P, $24.00) is less shimmery, darker, more muted (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Bambou (LE, $55.00) is less shimmery (85% similar).
- MAC Metrochrome (LE, $21.00) is lighter (85% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Aperture (03) (LE, $53.00) is darker, more muted (85% similar).
- Jouer Rose Gold (P, $18.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
Isododecane, Diisostearyl Malate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Synthetic Beeswax, C10-18 Triglycerides, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Silica Silylate, Pentylene Glycol, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Tin Oxide, Propylene Carbonate, Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).