The Real Thing
ColourPop The Real Thing Super Shock Cheek (Highlighter) ($12.00 for 0.32 oz.) is a medium gold with strong, warm undertones and a shiny, metallic finish. It had a cream-to-powder formula, so it felt emollient, almost wet to the touch, but was very lightweight, thin, and then felt powder-like as soon as it came into contact with my skin.
It had nearly opaque color coverage applied with a fingertip and more buildable, medium coverage when applied with a synthetic stippling brush, which was as expected. The highlighter applied evenly to bare skin as well as over foundation (as it did not lift up my base). It wore well for 10 hours without fading or creasing on me.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Urban Decay Viserion (LE, $26.00) is darker (95% similar).
- ColourPop 1st Prize (LE, $8.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Looxi Beauty Luxe (P, $7.50) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Pat McGrath Champagne Venus (LE, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Essence Be My Sunlight (P, $4.49) is darker (95% similar).
- ILIA Starstruck (P, $34.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Wet 'n' Wild Holly Gold-head (LE, $4.99) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Whisper of Gilt (P, $37.00) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Dior Midnight Wish (LE, $45.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Make Up For Ever #02 (P, $39.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
$10.00/0.15 oz. - $66.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "buildable" coverage and can be applied with fingertips (which will yield "higher coverage") or a brush (for sheerer coverage). It's a cream-based product that has a subtle, "wet" feel to it but never has the thickness of a true cream-based blush.
It goes on with the smoothness of a cream formulation but diffuses and blends (without lifting up one's base) more like a powder product. The product sets to a powder finish, so the product won't slide around during the day.
On me, the wear tends to be between eight and 10 hours. Most shades have medium, buildable pigmentation with some being semi-opaque to opaque on occasion. They are typically blendable, easy to use, and long-wearing.
Browse all of our ColourPop Super Shock Cheek (Highlighter) swatches.