Chanel No. 5 Rouge Allure Velvet ($37.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a rich red with subtle, cool undertones and a satin finish. It had nearly opaque pigmentation with a smooth, velvety texture that was incredibly lightweight and thin without feeling clingy. The color applied evenly across my lips and never dragged or tugged on them during application. It wore well for over six hours, left a faint stain behind, and was hydrating over time.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Chanel Rouge Cosmique (148) (LE, $40.00) is more shimmery, glossier (95% similar).
- Make Up For Ever C404 (DC, $22.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Goddess (202) (PiP, $30.00) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Maybelline Ruby for Me (P, $7.49) is lighter, glossier (95% similar).
- MAC A Rose in Harlem (LE, $19.00) is darker (95% similar).
- KVD Beauty Santa Sangre (LE, $19.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
- MAC Patrick Woo (LE, $19.00) is darker, cooler (95% similar).
- Clinique Roses are Red (P, $19.50) is warmer, glossier (95% similar).
- Hourglass My Icon Is (P, $34.00) is darker, cooler (95% similar).
- Urban Decay 714 (P, $19.00) is less glossy (95% similar).
$40.00/0.12 oz. - $333.33 Per Ounce
The Rouge Allure Velvet formula is supposed to be a "non-drying matte lipstick" with "intensely rich, long-wearing colour" and has a "velvet matte finish." Over time, I felt like the formula has improved and is actually non-drying (the original launch did not wear well on me) to lightly drying (seen more in shades that have lasted six to eight hours). The pigmentation varies from shade to shade but is usually semi-opaque to opaque with a semi-matte to satin finish. The texture had a velvety, glide-on feel that doesn't feel particularly creamy or wet, yet the lipstick is comfortable to wear over the four to six hours it typically lasts for. Like most Chanel lip products, they have a rosy scent but no discernible taste.
Browse all of our Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet swatches.