MAC Wonder Woman: Overall & Recommendations
MAC Wonder Woman Collection
MAC Wonder Woman: Overall & Recommendations
OVERALL, I found the collection rather underwhelming, and I was particularly disappointed in the quality of the eyeshadow quads. I had a few readers ask me what I would purchase if I was normal consumer and not a beauty blogger… and I really don’t know if I’d purchase anything. At best, one or both of the blush duos. There are a few too many repromotes from the permanent range, which is more frustrating because all of the prices are increased with the collaboration than they are normally. I’m surprised they did not create any new shades of pigments for the launch.
Heroine lipstick is actually a very lovely shade, but I can see it being difficult to wear. Spitfire is a shade that we’ve been seeing in slightly different variations over the past six months. Wonder Woman lipglass had promise but the sheerness seemed off–this is Wonder Woman, where the packaging is bold and bright! Both blushes had nice pigmentation and were smooth, so I did like those. I’m just not thrilled to see the $24 price tag accompany them–at least you do get more for your money. Golden Lariat mineralize skinfinish pulls rather orange, so it is a more limited shade; it should work lovely on warm, medium to dark skin tones. Pink Power mineralize skinfinish is more universally wearable, but it is awkward to hold and feels gigantic.
I’m not sure which product disappointed me more: the eyeshadow quads or the oversized (but now awkward to use) Penultimate eyeliner. Ultimately, the pigmentation and texture are lacking in all three eyeshadow quads, with Defiance being the least pigmented. Some shades are almost chalky, but the texture is thin–almost had. I felt like I had to scrape out product in order to build up a swatch. Each palette had one, maybe two, shades that did have a soft, smooth texture and decent pigmentation, but one shade does not a palette make.
I tihnk the packaging is fine–you either love it or hate it. It’s certainly not packaging that will appeal to all. I have no emotional attachment to Wonder Woman (didn’t watch her, don’t know her back story, etc.), and it’s not my aesthetic, but I don’t carry around my makeup, so it wouldn’t matter to me that I don’t love it if the product inside high quality–but the packaging would compel me to buy just to have it.
Photos, Reviews, Swatches
- Blushes: Amazon Princess, Mighty Aphrodite
- Eyeshadow Quads: Defiance, Lady Justice, Valiant
- Mineralize Skinfinishes: Golden Lariat, Pink Power
- Opulash Mascara
- Packaging (Boxes)
- Penultimate Eyeliner
- Pigments/Reflects Glitters
- Video: Part 1 (Eyes), Part 2 (Cheeks/Lips)
- Comparison/Dupe Swatches: Blush/Mineralize Skinfinish Comparisons, Eyeshadow Quad Comparisons, Lipstick/Lipglass Comparisons
Check out my recommendations, what to check your stash for, what to skip, and recommendations by skin tone!
nice-to-haves: Amazon Princess/Mighty Aphrodite Blush Duos, Pink Power Mineralize Skinfinish, Opulash Mascara (all shades)
skip: Rapidblack Penultimate Eyeliner (the jumbo size makes it difficult to use), Defiance Eyeshadow Quad (poor pigmentation), Lady Justice Eyeshadow Quad (average pigmentation), Valiant Eyeshadow Quad (average pigmentation)
Check your stash for…
MARQUISE D’ (repromote), RUSSIAN RED (permanent), RAPIDBLACK (permanent), DEEP TRUTH (permanent), MANILA PAPER (repromote from Spring Colour Forecast), REFLeCTS BRONZE (permanent at PRO), REFLECTS PEARL (permanent at PRO), BRIGHT FUCHSIA (permanent at PRO), MARINE ULTRA (permanent at PRO).
Skip if you have…
- Skip AMAZON PRINCESS if you have BAND OF ROSES; though not exactly dupes, both shades of the duo are remarkably to this duo.
- Skip MIGHTY APHRODITE if you have GUERLAIN BLUSH G; if you have the latter, the pink shade is nearly the same as the lighter side of Mighty Aphrodite.
- Skip GOLDEN LARIAT (blushing side) if you have A LITTLE BIT OF SUNSHINE; the blush duo is similar to both the bronzing side (but darker, not a dupe), while the lighter side of the duo is only a touch lighter than the blushing side of Golden Lariat.
- Skip DEFIANCE if you have EGO; slightly less pale but close.
- Skip REAL DRAMA if you have SKETCH, which is only a smidgen redder.
- Skip LADY JUSTICE if you have FORGERY or URBAN DECYA UZI; they are nearly indistinguishable from each other.
- Skip BOLD BABE if you have LOVE LACE or HOURGLASS PRISM; they are both better versions of Bold Babe.
- Skip MANILA PAPER if you have NYLON; they are very, very close.
- Skip VALIANT if you have KORRES #44S, which is only slightly greener.
- Skip ATHENA’S KISS if you have MAGNETIQUE; the latter is a little darker.
- Skip EMANCIPATION if you have BARE NECESSITIES or DEVILISHLY STYLISH; both are a little less pink but the effect is barely noticeable when worn.
- Skip MARQUISE D’ if you have SANDY B, which is a little frostier.
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- light skin tones: Amazon Princess/Mighty Aphrodite Blush Duos, Pink Power Mineralize Skinfinish, Defiance Eyeshadow Quad, Spitfire Lipstick, Athena’s Kiss Lipglass
- medium skin tones: Amazon Princess/Mighty Aphrodite Blush Duos, Pink Power Mineralize Skinfinish, Lady Justice/Valiant Eyeshadow Quad, Russian Red/Spitfire Lipsticks, Secret Identity Lipglass
- dark skin tones: Amazon Princess/Mighty Aphrodite Blush Duos, Golden Lariat Mineralize Skinfinish, Lady Justice Eyeshadow Quad, Russian Red/Spitfire Lipsticks, Athena’s Kiss Lipglass
- cool undertones: Amazon Princess Blush Duo, Defiance/Lady Justice Eyeshadow Quad, Russian Red/Spitfire Lipsticks, Athena’s Kiss Lipglass
- warm undertones: Mighty Aphrodite Blush Duo, Golden Lariat Mineralize Skinfinish, Valiant Eyeshadow Quad, Heroine Lipstick, Secret Identity Lipglass
- universally flattering shades: Pink Power Mineralize Skinfinish, Bright Fuchsia/Marine Ultra Pigments, Reflects Bronze/Reflects Pearl Glitters, Marquise d’ Lipstick, Emancipation/Wonder Woman Lipglass, Opulash Mascara (all shades)
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/tempt/public_html/wp-content/themes/myTemptalia/single.php on line 72