The new Urban Decay’s Revolution Lipstick formula is quite different from their previous formula. (I’m not familiar with their original formula!) Most notably, the previous formula had a lot more slip and slickness, so they felt “wet” and thin, and could easily slide around lips. The consistency of the new formula is creamier with less slip and better hold. The shades before had sheer to medium coverage that was somewhat buildable (and there were a couple shades with more opaque payoff), whereas the new formula, the majority are opaque. The finish is different, too; the previous formula had a more luminous, glossy finish, and this one has a nice shine, but it’s not as glossy–there is a lot less shimmer in the new shades compared to the older formula, where most shades had shimmer. Gone, too, is the creme brulee scent of the older formula (I didn’t smell or taste anything with the new formula).
I went through and swatched all of the shades I had in the previous formula, so they’re now included in the Swatch Gallery for your perusal. If you want to make your own comparisons within Urban Decay’s brand, I highly recommend filtering by type (Lipstick/Lipgloss) and by brand (Urban Decay), which will keep you in the world of Urban Decay.
- 5150 is a brightened, bolder coral-red with warm undertones. There is no corresponding shade in the new range. Streak is pinker, while Lovelight is much less red. See comparison swatches.
- Apocalypse is a muted, brownish-plum. There’s nothing like it in the new range. Really, the vampiest shade in the new formula is Shame, which is brighter, bolder, redder. See comparison swatches.
- Confession is a darkened, purple burgundy. It’s not like Shame, which is much redder, or Venom, which is more berry-colored and lighter. See comparison swatches.
- Gash is a darkened, berry-ish red. Shame is bolder, redder. Venom is more berry-hued. Manic is warmer. See comparison swatches.
- Gravity is a cool-toned, medium-dark red. There are some similar shades but nothing exact. Catfight is brighter and has no shimmer. Shame is darker. Manic is warmer. See comparison swatches.
- Indecent is a warm, orange-brown. It compares most to Naked 2, which is a bit darker and slightly browner, plus it is a cream finish. See comparison swatches.
- Jilted is a cool-toned, fuchsia-berry with a slight shimmer. Anarchy is brighter, while Jilted (the new one!) is very similar, but I think the shimmer is more noticeable now. Venom is darker. See comparison swatches.
- Naked is a neutral pink with subtle gold shimmer. The closest match would be Native, which is warmer and has a cream finish. Naked is much, much warmer now with less pink. See comparison swatches.
- Oil Slick is a warm-toned black. It doesn’t have any comparable shades in the range (you can see the swatch here).
- Peroxide is a warm, pinky-beige. Streak is brighter, pinker. Lovelight is darker. See comparison swatches.
- Revolution is a subtly cool-toned red. It is similar to 69, which is a bit brighter. See comparison swatches.
- Rush is a subdued, pinky-plum. Fiend is slightly pinker and richer in color. Rush is similar but more opaque, so it appears darker. See comparison swatches.
- Vinyl is a purple-plum with shimmer. Venom is brighter, bolder. Rapture is warmer, not as purple. See comparison swatches.
- Wicked is a pink-plum with shimmer. Rapture is darker, more opaque, less shimmery. See comparison swatches.
Summary: The majority of the discontinued shades do not have exact dupes in the new formula. The ones that came the closest to having something similar were Gravity, Jilted, Indecent, Revolution, and Rush.
Whew! I may have gone on a bit of a posting spree in the past 24 hours, so to make sure you haven’t missed anything, here’s a recap of what I’ve reviewed from Urban Decay’s fall collection so far… (More to come!)
- Fall Collection Information
- Revolution Lipstick — 69, F-Bomb, Catfight, Bang, Streak
- Revolution Lipstick — Jilted, Anarchy, Obsessed, Turn On
- Revolution Lipstick — Fiend, Native, Naked, Rush
- Revolution Lipstick — Liar, Lovelight, Naked 2, Protest, Strip
- Revolution Lipstick — Venom, Shame, Rapture, Manic
- Nail Colors — Addiction, Vice
- 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencils — 69, Anarchy, Jilted, Bang, Venom
- 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencils — Naked, Naked 2, Deep, Liar, Ozone
- 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencils — Turn On, Manic, Rush, Obsessed, Native, Streak
- Comparisons of Old vs. New Formula & Shades