Smashbox Prismatic Petal Petal Metal HighlighterSmashbox Prismatic Petal Petal Metal Highlighter ($39.00 for 0.35 oz.) is a soft, medium copper base with a stronger, orange undertone with pink-to-violet shifting sparkle and pearl. It had larger sparkles in it, and I would consider it a more glittery highlighter so if that isn’t something you enjoy, then the finish won’t live up to expectations. The duochrome was noticeable in person; I definitely got hints of peachy-copper goodness that shifted to a cooler, fuchsia-pink sheen depending on how the light hit my cheeks. The highlighter had medium coverage, which was more buildable with respect to glow than color.
The texture felt slightly drier to the touch, though it had the same, more densely-packed and firmly-pressed texture of gel-powder highlighters. It worked best with a moderately dense brush (I used a typical, tapered highlighting brush without issue) and patted on, then blended out. It wore well for eight hours on me before fading noticeably but there was slight migration of sparkle over time.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Dior Coral (LE, ) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Too Faced Starlight (PiP, ) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Everybody's Got a Weakness (LE, $10.00) is less shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Too Faced Canary Diamond (P, $34.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Melt Cosmetics Iluminacion (P, $39.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- MAC Show Gold (P, $37.00) is lighter (85% similar).
- MAC Snowflushed (LE, $37.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Becca Own Your Light (LE, $38.00) is less shimmery, cooler (85% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Showstopper (81) (LE, $49.00) is less shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Kat Von D Gammaray (LE, $30.00) is warmer (85% similar).
$39.00/0.35 oz. - $111.43 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have a "radiant" finish that lasts for "10 hours" with a "velvety and blendable" formula where the shine can be built up in layers or used with a dampened brush. The highlighting powder has a gel-powder hybrid feel--dense, firm, but not stiff or difficult to blend out on the skin--that is similar to formulas like MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinishes, NARS Dual Intensity Highlighters/Blushes, Estee Lauder Gelees, and so on. They apply best using a moderately dense brush over anything really feathery (like a fan brush). The pigmentation varied from semi-opaque to opaque, was buildable, and lasted for eight to nine hours on me.
Browse all of our Smashbox Petal Metal Highlighter swatches.
Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, C12-20 Acid PEG-8 Ester, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Alumina, Squalane, Glycerin, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Tin Oxide, Polysorbate 80, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Aluminum Powder (CI 77000), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Bronze Powder (CI 77400), Carmine (CI 75470), Copper Powder (CI 77400), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]