Maybelline Molten Gold MasterChrome Metallic Highlighter ($9.99 for 0.24 oz.) is a brighter, medium gold with warm, orange undertones and a metallic sheen. It’s supposed to have a “chrome effect” that can be applied “lightly for a subtle glow” or built up for a “bold melted metal look.”
It was quite pigmented in a single layer, though the consistency was soft and pliable, so it was easy to control the amount of product picked up on a brush to get sheerer coverage. The texture was smooth to the touch, soft enough that it was a touch powdery in the pan, but it did not look dry or powdery on the skin. On the cheekbones, it had a noticeable glow that did not emphasize my skin’s natural texture. If you wanted really over-the-top, traffic-stopping glow, just spritz your brush (after picking up the product) with a bit of water or facial mist; I found that the texture of this shade was particularly workable damp but is often a trick that can be used with a slew of powder highlighters. It wore well for eight hours on me before fading slightly.
- LORAC Fearless (LE, $23.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Side Piece (LE, $26.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Laura Mercier Infatuation (LE, $45.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Milani Golden Quartz (PiP, ) (95% similar).
- Becca Topaz Flashes Gilt (LE, $34.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- NARS Salé (-, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Dior Transatlantique (LE, $58.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- NARS Ibiza (P, $38.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Makeup Revolution Gold Addict (P, $6.00) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- MAC Oh, Darling! (P, $33.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
$9.99/0.24 oz. - $41.63 Per Ounce
It’s supposed to have a “chrome effect” that can be applied “lightly for a subtle glow” or built up for a “bold melted metal look.” The texture was soft, smooth, and blendable that was delightfully creamy to the touch, but it was still more loosely pressed (without being powdery), which made it particularly easy to apply with a slew of brushes. For subtle coverage, I’d recommend a light hand and a tapered highlighting brush or a fan brush with a moderate hand. It had opaque coverage–not buildable as described, which was really the only downside to the product–that applied evenly to bare skin and blended out with little effort. The shades typically wore for around eight hours on me.
Browse all of our Maybelline MasterChrome Metallic Highlighter swatches.
Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Diisostearyl Malate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dimethicone / Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Tin Oxide. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492 / Iron Oxides.