Makeup by Mario Honey Soft Glow Highlighter ($28.00 for 0.16 oz.) is a light-medium, yellowy gold with warm undertones and a smooth, metallic sheen. It had medium color coverage in a single layer, which could be built up to full coverage with two to three layers, and the formula was marketed as buildable.
The texture was moderately dense, more firmly-pressed into the compact so there was no powderiness, but it had enough give to pick up evenly with a dry brush, and the formula itself was almost emollient, which helped the product adhere, blend, and sit well on my skin. It had a smooth shine that softened the look of my pores rather than potentially emphasize them. The highlighter wore nicely for eight hours before fading visibly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- MAC House of Petunia (LE, $34.00) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Moodlight (Top) (PiP, ) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- Iconic London Coral Glow (Right) (PiP, ) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- MAC Heaven in Your Smile (LE, ) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Milani Champagne d'Oro (P, $10.99) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- ColourPop Layin' Out (LE, $10.00) is darker (90% similar).
- OFRA SoHo (LE, $29.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Chantecaille Eclat Brilliant (LE, $92.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC There She Glows (LE, $42.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Makeup by Mario Golden (P, $28.00) is cooler (90% similar).
$28.00/0.16 oz. - $175.00 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to highlight while "smooth[ing] the appearance of your skin" with an "ultra-silky" texture that "blends effortlessly." The collection this formula launched in was touted as having all buildable formulas, though I'd say that the highlighter formula was more semi-opaque to opaque for the most part.
It was easy to use a lighter hand as the texture was denser and firmer (without being stiff), so there were no issues controlling how much product was picked up. The product felt incredibly smooth and almost cream-like--as if it were emollient to the touch--which helped the highlighter "melt" onto skin after five minutes or so.
Some shades were smoother and more luminous than others; a few yielded a more intense glow that seemed just shy of emphasizing my skin's natural texture. They all applied evenly and blended out with very little effort. Most of the shades wore well for eight hours on me.
Browse all of our Makeup by Mario Soft Glow Highlighter swatches.
Talc, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol May Contain/Peut Contenir (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Manganese Violet (Ci 77742).
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.