Laura Mercier Affection Face Illuminator ($45.00 for 0.3 oz.) is a light, peachy gold with strong, warm undertones and a smooth, metallic sheen. The shimmer was very fine, so it produced more of a high-shine finish rather than something overtly shimmery, which meant that the powder didn’t emphasize my skin’s natural texture.
It had good pigmentation that was easily built up to full coverage with less than half of a layer. The texture was smooth to the touch, firmer and a bit denser, but there was no powderiness and the powder almost “melted” on my skin for a very seamless application. With this type of formula, I’d recommend using a moderately dense, more rounded brush to pick up product evenly. It stayed on nicely for eight and a half hours before fading noticeably.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Urban Decay Nooner (Highlighter) (PiP, ) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- MAC Double-Gleam (P, $37.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- LORAC Daylight (P, $23.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Sesso (Highlighter) (PiP, ) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Urban Decay Sin (P, $26.00) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- ColourPop Glad You Came (PiP, $8.00) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Tarte Champagne (LE, ) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Milani Pearl (PiP, ) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- ColourPop You're a Trip (LE, $8.00) is cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Gleam Sheen (PiP, ) is cooler (90% similar).
$45.00/0.3 oz. - $150.00 Per Ounce
According to the brand, Laura Mercier Face Illuminator ($44.00 for 0.30 oz.) supposed to be a “long-wearing, buildable” highlighter that gives a “natural-looking” glow. The formula was typically more buildable from medium to opaque coverage with a noticeable sheen that could get more frosted/metallic if applied heavily but didn't emphasize my pores. The texture was smooth and blendable, but there was a bit of dryness to it that seemed common to this type of formula (think MAC Extra Dimension, NARS Dual-Intensity, Estee Lauder Gelee, etc.). On my normal-to-dry skin, the highlighter tended to last around eight hours.
Browse all of our Laura Mercier Face Illuminator swatches.