Laura Geller Pixie Pearl Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator ($36.00 for 0.35 oz.) is a very light pink with warm undertones and a luminous sheen. The powder had a smooth, almost cream-like consistency as it was denser but not stiff or firmly pressed in the pan. It had semi-opaque color payoff that was buildable to full coverage with a second layer if desired (though the brand describes as sheer). I had no trouble blending out the powder on my cheek bones, and the highlighter illuminated without emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. The powder stayed on well for nine hours on me.
Apparently, this was a one-day only product (though it appeared in one of their past palettes), but hopefully, the dupes are helpful or the brand eventually releases it into the permanent range.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Becca Pure Pearl (LE, $40.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Make Up For Ever #01 (P, $39.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Dior #002 (DC, $56.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Flesh Beauty Certain (P, $28.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Too Faced Fancy Pink Diamond (P, $34.00) is less shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Laura Mercier Devotion (P, $45.00) is more shimmery, cooler (95% similar).
- Colour Pop Just for Us (P, $7.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (95% similar).
- Dior Pink Glow (002) (P, $50.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Maybelline Iridescent (100) (P, $9.99) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Smashbox Petal Metal (LE, $39.00) is less pigmented (90% similar).
$36.00/0.35 oz. - $102.86 Per Ounce
The Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator formula is supposed to give a “translucent wash of luminous color” that can be used all-over or as a highlighter with a powder-cream hybrid texture. The consistency was denser but smooth and had no powderiness in the pan. The powder applied well to bare skin, blended out easily, and sat well on my skin. Most shades lasted between eight and nine hours on me.
The biggest “downside” to the formula is that they’re really more pigmented than described. I think they’re easy to use as a semi-sheer product with a lighter hand, but without adjusting one's tool or technique, they tended to apply at more semi-opaque to opaque coverage. To me, the formula would be better described as having medium, buildable coverage.
Browse all of our Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator swatches.