Kevyn Aucoin Gold The Molten Lip Color ($30.00 for 0.14 fl. oz.) is a medium gold with warm undertones and a metallic sheen. It was a warm-toned gold for sure, but it had browner undertones, which made it less orange-based and should be more flattering across more skin tones. The gloss was light-medium in weight, lightly tacky, and smooth on the lips. It spread well across the lips, yielded nearlly opaque coverage, and lasted for four hours on me. The formula was lightly hydrating while worn.
The formula is described as a “high impact, metallic liquid lip color” that has “intense pigments” and a “moisture-rich” formula that is “comfortable” and “long-wearing.” The texture was smoother and less tacky compared to other metallic lip gloss formulas that have debuted in the last year, so these did seem more comfortable and less maintenance as a result. They were fairly pigmented with some shades being richer than others. The formula was lightly to moderately hydrating with average wear time (around four hours).
- Lancome Brushed Gold (11) (P, $22.00) is darker (95% similar).
- NARS Muse (LE, $26.00) is less pigmented, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Florescence (LE, $21.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Illamasqua Stranger (P, $22.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Too Faced Melted Gold (P, $21.00) is less pigmented, warmer (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Goldmine (P, $20.00) is less pigmented (85% similar).
Kevyn Aucoin Bronze The Molten Lip Color ($30.00 for 0.14 fl. oz.) is a rich, deep reddish bronze with warm undertones and golden and copper pearl. It had a really complex sheen as the color appeared warmer, more golden and then more fiery, coppery as I moved. It looked more interesting in person and that effect helped minimize the unevenness of the gloss itself. It had semi-opaque pigmentation that did not spread evenly across my lips, and there was color that settled into my lip lines. This shade lasted for four and a half hours and was hydrating over time.
- Bite Beauty Bronze Pearl (P, $22.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Smashbox Haterade (P, $24.00) is lighter, less glossy (85% similar).
- MAC Caramel Sugar (LE, $17.50) is more shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Ciate Aurora (P, $18.00) is more shimmery, lighter, cooler (80% similar).
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Get Lucky (374) (P, $28.00) is more shimmery, lighter, less pigmented (80% similar).
- Lancome Iron Nude (12) (P, $22.00) is lighter, more muted, cooler (80% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Snake Skin (LE, ) is more shimmery, lighter (80% similar).
- MAC Dej Loaf (LE, $17.50) is lighter (80% similar).
- MAC Gilded Age (LE, $21.00) is more shimmery, lighter (80% similar).
Kevyn Aucoin Carbon The Molten Lip Color ($30.00 for 0.14 fl. oz.) is a blackened purple with subtle, warm undertones and fine gold and violet pearl. It applied mostly evenly with good pigmentation–just shy of full coverage–that had a much subtler shimmer-sheen finish compared to the rest of the shades in the line-up. I’m not sure if it actually had less shimmer in it or the deepness of the color covered the pearl. For such a deep shade, I was impressed by how well it applied, even though it wasn’t perfect. The texture was smooth, light-medium in weight, and just a touch tacky. It wore well for four hours on me and was lightly moisturizing.