Fenty Beauty Ruby Richez Killawatt Foil Freestyle Highlighter ($36.00 for 0.24 oz.) is a medium-dark red with warm undertones and a pearly sheen. It had opaque pigmentation in a single layer, while the texture had a smooth, creamier feel but was a bit thinner than most of the Killawatt range. The finish seemed more pearly initially but seemed to intensify and looked shinier once blended out.
It seemed to have some slip, too, so it worked better over just-powdered or drier skin than dewier skin (whether naturally or by virtue of base products). It seemed a bit patchy when I applied it over bare skin (which was normal, not particularly dry but not oily!) and over base products (that weren’t set), so the application wasn’t as foolproof as past shades in the Killawatt range. The product stayed on well for nine hours on me before fading noticeably.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- NABLA Cosmetics Adults Only (P, $26.00) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC Rhubarb #2 (LE, $39.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- MAC Faux Sure (P, $27.00) is less shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- NARS Taos (P, $30.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Ginger Binge (PiP, $36.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Chanel Evening Beige (340) (P, $45.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Clinique Fig Pop (P, $21.00) is less shimmery, lighter (85% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Lovegasm Multi-Glow (LE, ) is warmer (85% similar).
- Smashbox Rosemantic (LE, $39.00) is lighter (85% similar).
- Coloured Raine Bourgeois (P, $25.00) is darker (85% similar).
$36.00/0.26 oz. - $138.46 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have a "creamy texture" with a "mega-reflective, foil-like finish" that can be used on the "face, eyes, collarbone [or] anywhere you crave a touch of light." The brand described them as "buildable, color-rich luminizers," which seems to indicate the finish is more buildable than the base (as they're touted as "color-rich" in other marketing pieces).
The majority of the shades have mostly opaque to opaque pigmentation and have a denser, firmer texture (not stiff, though) that lends itself to lighter-hand application for sheerer coverage if preferred. Most of the shades were pearly to metallic with slight, finer sparkle and didn't emphasize my skin's natural texture.
They lasted between eight and nine hours on me with minimal fading over time. As eyeshadows, they performed decently, but a couple of shades had larger flecks of sparkle, which seemed to look more obvious when I tried blending them out as an eyeshadow.
Browse all of our Fenty Beauty Killawatt Foil Freestyle Highlighter swatches.