Estee Lauder Heat Wave Illuminating Powder Gelee ($45.00 for 0.24 oz.) is a bright, medium gold with warm, yellow undertones and a metallic sheen. It appeared more metallic when I swatched it than when I applied to my cheek bones, though when I applied it more heavily or with a damp brush, it started to take on a more noticeable sheen. I did not feel like it emphasized my skin’s natural texture, though, even when applied heavily.
The formula is described as a “super-luxurious bronzer” with a buildable finish “to a luminous pearl highlight.” It’s more like a gold-hued highlighter than your typical bronzer. The consistency was soft, smooth, and dense without being stiff or difficult to blend out. It was easy to apply and diffuse along the edges, and it layered well with blushes or could be worn on its own, if desired. This shade lasted well for eight hours on me before fading. While this may have been more innovative when it originally launched years ago, the reality is that this type of gold highlighter is rather common these days, so there are a lot more dupes for those who aren’t interested in tracking this product down.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Gilty (LE, $49.00) is more shimmery, lighter, warmer (95% similar).
- Dose of Colors Gold is the New Black (P, $28.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- ColourPop Boomin' (LE, $7.00) is less shimmery, more muted (95% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Gold Bullion (LE, ) is less shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic Star (LE, $45.00) is darker, warmer (95% similar).
- Laura Geller Gilded Honey (P, $26.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Whisper of Gilt (P, $37.00) (100% similar).
- Make Up For Ever H106 (P, $23.00) is lighter (90% similar).
- Anastasia 143 (LE, ) is darker (95% similar).
- Looxi Beauty Centerfold (P, $7.50) is more shimmery (95% similar).
Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, C12-20 Acid PEG-8 Ester, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Squalane, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Tin Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Polysorbate 80, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Isostearyl Alcohol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, Eugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, BHT, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)].
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.